Fastest method of search for files, folders, without having each time entering different keyword phrases

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Debugger

Fastest method of search for files, folders, without having each time entering different keyword phrases

Post by Debugger »

Fastest method of search for files, folders, without having each time entering different keyword phrases, etc.

example:
size:10kb to 20kb (not work)

Add 3 simple dialogs:
+Filename:
+In Dir:
+File Size:

Work for me other tool
Advanced algorithms will match perfectly every simple word or phrase,

Code: Select all

*.mp3
sakina                   .com
10kb to 6m
[/i]

The simplified method is much better than studded all kinds of different options that rather than speed up the search this slow down the search, you lose time to enter various keyword phrases and settings
void
Developer

Re: Fastest method of search for files, folders, without having each time entering different keyword phrases

Post by void »

Please try the advanced search under the Search menu.
size:10kb to 20kb (not work)
To search for a range of sizes, use the .. or - range specifier, for example to search for 10kb to 6MB, search for:
size:10kb..6mb

-or-

size:10kb-6mb
Debugger

Re: Fastest method of search for files, folders, without having each time entering different keyword phrases

Post by Debugger »

CLTR+A Select all files.
No shows TOTAL size files or folders.
Where are the counters?
void
Developer

Post by void »

To show the total size in the status bar:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the View tab.
  • Check Show size in status bar.
  • Click OK.
Note: enabling this option will reduce the searching performance of Everything.
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

void wrote:To show the total size in the status bar:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the View tab.
  • Check Show size in status bar.
  • Click OK.
Note: enabling this option will reduce the searching performance of Everything.
Shows: Number of objects.
It does not show TOTAL SIZE (Example: Select 30000 files)
salazor

Post by salazor »

Everything shows the total size for selected files (in the lower right corner), not for folders yet.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

salazor wrote:Everything shows the total size for selected files (in the lower right corner), not for folders yet.
I've also noticed to this bug. Folders are not calculted even though you enabled "Index folder size".

Another thing I've noticed, is about functions. For example the pic: function.
A user not always remember the specific functiom name, and he will try:
Picture:
Pictures:
Pics:

But only pic: will work.
pic: is great for the advanced user that use this form often. But if one is a beginner or use this form rarely, he will need to look for the right form.
I there a problem/harm to add all kinds of common names to functions, so user can use pictures: DateModified: etc ?
therube

Post by therube »

You can change (or delete) the [shortcut] macro as it is.
Though you're limited to one single "phrase".

So you could change "pic" to "xyz", if you so wanted.

(But you can't use both "pic" and "xyz" to refer to the same filter.
You could duplicate a filter, & assign it a separate macro name.
So make a copy of the pic filter, name it Picture2 or whatever, then assign the macro "xyz" to it.
Then you can search for pictures using either pic: or xyz:
Yes, having synonyms for the macro name would be easier.)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Including the size of folders in the status bar is odd, since folder sizes include subfolders.
Selecting multiple folders will appear to show bogus sizes, especially when selecting folders that are already included because a parent was selected.
Maybe an option to show only the size of files in folders and an option to show folder sizes in the status bar..

I'll add pictures: picture: pics: to the list of built in macros for Everything 1.5.
I'm looking at moving custom macros from the UI to the database for support with IPC/ETP/HTTP, which will make adding multiple macros easier.

Using TAB or showing a dropdown list of commands is also on my TODO list for Everything 1.5.
TAB Auto-completion for some commands will be available in the next 1.4 beta update.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

void wrote:Including the size of folders in the status bar is odd, since folder sizes include subfolders.
I can't understand you.
It's like you choose in Explorer folders and files and Alt+Enter, where you can see the size of the all selection.
Currently Folders are not calculated.
Of course, if there are parent and subfolders in selection, only the parent folder should be calculated.
void
Developer

Post by void »

The same subfolder size is included multiple times in the selection, giving a incorrect total size.
Like you said I would have to make Everything "smart" and only include subfolders once. Unfortunately, doing so would probably hurt performance. I'll consider an option to calculate folder sizes in the statusbar.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

You are supppsed to calculate just the most parent folder selected..
The same problem you have btw with Copy/Move parent and subs folders. You need to Copy/Move just the parent.
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

void

Not work for me:

400kb..999kb
400kb-999kb
400kb .. 999kb
0 objects

My suggestion, without introducing unnecessary phrases
size:
regex:
and many other unnecessary things.
More simpler(!!!!) names, regex and file size
salazor

Post by salazor »

Strange, for me it works very well:

size:400kb..999kb
size:400kb-999kb
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

Why writing a word :x

size:
This is a very redundant words.
Minimalist and always will be - the best! :D

Everything:
Need :|

NoNameTool:
do not need to enter any words, and always works.
The minimalistic = always better 8-)
salazor

Post by salazor »

Debugger - Tell a friend released to this program, because of your description it looks for the best program of the decade. :D

I also want to try: NoNameTool
Debugger wrote:Why writing a word :x

size:
Because then the program knows that he has to look for in size, not in the file name.

So hard for you to enter additional 5 characters?
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

Yes because it's stupid words and it takes a lot of valuable seconds in each operation: search

Please Add separate tables to search for different Filename, path 1 (name), path 2 (In Dir), size, etc.
salazor

Post by salazor »

Debugger wrote:
Yes because it's stupid words and it takes a lot of valuable seconds in each operation: search

Please Add separate tables to search for different Filename, path 1 (name), path 2 (In Dir), size, etc.
Separate fields you have in Advanced Search - few entries, clicks and you're done.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

What about the idea to put checkboxes in each Column Head.
If you check Filename the search will be made just for Filename
if you check Path the search will be made just for Path
If you check Filename+Path the search will be made for Path+Filename
etc.

OneClick on one checkbox- Check/Uncheck
DoubleClick on one checkbox - Check/Uncheck a group
TripleClick on one checkbox - Check/Uncheck all

Default search settings by Home tab.

BTW, checkboxes can also be correct for patitions selection.