finding duplicates

Plug-in and third party software discussion.
klarah

finding duplicates

Post by klarah »

maybe someone finds this useful:

I created a function for the explorer context menu "finding duplicates", which shows all duplicates of the appropriate file.

For this I created a batchfile "everything_this.bat" in the installation folder of Everything with the following text:

"%~dp0Everything.exe" -search "%~nx1" -filter "Everything"

... which passes the filename to everything.exe.

For creating the context menu entry (with icon) an entry in the registry is needed. The following reg-file did it for me.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\Shell\find duplicates]
"icon"="C:\\_src\\_utilities\\context_menue\\Everything\\Everything.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\Shell\find duplicates\Command]
@="C:\\_src\\_utilities\\context_menue\\Everything\\everything_this.bat \"%L\""

Only the the paths to "Everything.exe" and to "everything_this.bat" may need to be adapted.

Enjoy.
Klaus
jg5050

Re: finding duplicates

Post by jg5050 »

thanks your the man!
westman

Post by westman »

This is useful and worked great, thanks!
You just follow the manual install directions, right click a file and click on "find duplicates" from resulting right-click menu. Everything pops up w the filename in the search field, with search results already showing. Fast.
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Thank You.
questorfla

Post by questorfla »

I must be missing something and it is probably due to the way I have installed everything in Windows 10.
I am not sure if I need to create some additional directories or if i can simply modify the regedit to match what I have. Everything is installed under "c:\program files" with no additional subdirectories.
I was just now wishing there was a way to use everything to locate and remove duplicates in a manner other than what I am currently doing which is tedious at best.
Manually looking for groupings of the same name, checking to see if they are the same size and removing all but one of each group. I need to do this on multiple folders that each contain several hundred thousand files.
Any advice on the correct statements to enable this feature in everything would be appreciated.
therube

Post by therube »

1.4 Beta has both dupe: & sizedupe: functions.
(In the Index, you need to index the file size & also enable Fast size sort.)

You can combine them, something like:

> dupe: sizedupe: c: file:

Or even add a size to it:

> dupe: sizedupe: c: file: size:>2MB

Note that that finds file name AND (I believe its an AND) file size duplications - anywhere, not necessarily limited to C:, & also that name AND size are the only qualifications for "duplication", as in files meeting that criteria may not be (byte-by-byte) "duplicates".

Otherwise, I've mentioned a couple duplicate file finding programs here, http://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopi ... 5398#p5398. Both AllDup & Duplicate Cleaner are excellent, IMO.
Dorf

Post by Dorf »

Have you ever seen a de-dupe program that can do this or can think of a way to do this easily?

1 Multiple paths of files to be considered masters.
2 Find duplicates(byte wise) of the masters across multiple paths and delete them, but dont de-dupe within the paths.
therube

Post by therube »

CloseSpy has the concept of "pools".

AllDup has the concept of "Remove all groups where the files not exist at all source files".
(That is a mouthful. Better way of saying it would be appreciated.)

DuplicateCleaner has the concept of "Scan Against Self" (Y/N).
DuplicateCleaner, in an upcoming (time unknown) version will also have the concept of "protected" (or something like that I think it was).

If I'm understanding, I believe CloneSpy & Duplicate Cleaner may cover what you want.
If I'm understanding AllDup, what it does is to scan everything (all selected directories), & then that particular option would remove files from ... oh, its confusing? But in any case, its method, in this case, would be less efficient then the others.

Download, test safely, experiment & see if they work for you.
Nickon

Post by Nickon »

Very convenient solution. Only one minus. When the BAT file starts, the console window constantly opens and waits for the completion of the operation, with the message: "Press Enter or Esc for close console..."
I did not know how to get rid of it. And therefore wrote on VB6 simple solution, analogue of BAT file.

If anyone is interested, you can experience. There are no viruses, I personally wrote. If anyone worries, the code is attached separately. It is simple, you can compile it yourself.

If someone told me how to get a list of found files from Everything and transfer it to my program, I could try to process and compare files for similarity.

In order to work, you just need to replace in the registry
@="C:\\_src\\_utilities\\context_menue\\Everything\\everything_this.bat \"%L\""
on this
@="D:\\Work Aplications\\Portable Everything 1.4.1.773b\\prjEveryThingDuplicate.exe \"%L\""

Place the file in the same folder as Everything.exe

I have not tested this file on other computers; some library DLL may be needed , although it should work this way.

Below is the code for self-compilation.

Code: Select all

Option Explicit

Private Sub Form_Load()
    Dim tmpCommand As String
    tmpCommand = Replace(Command(), Chr(34), "")
    Shell Chr(34) & "Everything.exe" & Chr(34) & " -search " & Chr(34) & Right(tmpCommand, Len(tmpCommand) - InStrRev(tmpCommand, "\")) & Chr(34) & " -filter " & Chr(34) & "Everything" & Chr(34), vbHide
End Sub
If you have questions, ask :)
Attachments
prjEveryThingDuplicate.rar
(5.1 KiB) Downloaded 901 times
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Nice!
For a couple of other ways to achieve this, see viewtopic.php?t=7176

The "next version" mentioned in that thread is the upcoming major version 1.5. No known release date at the moment (in case you wonder).
Nickon

Post by Nickon »

I would like to be able, after receiving the LIST of the files found, to compare them for a similarity. But I have no idea how I can transfer the File List to my program from Everything.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Nickon wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:56 am I would like to be able, after receiving the LIST of the files found, to compare them for a similarity. But I have no idea how I can transfer the File List to my program from Everything.
If you tell what it is you want to accomplish and/or what program you are talking about, we might be able to assist in finding a solution.

Some general remarks:
- you can export the result list in a couple of formats (Menu:File > Export)
- Everything has some duplicate functions ( namepartdupe: attribdupe: dadupe: dcdupe: dmdupe: sizedupe:). They work on all files in the index; not only on the ones that match your search query

But I have a feeling you knew that already :)
okaso

Post by okaso »

@Nickon - I don't know if this is what you mean, but you could install MultiHasher, which creates its own context menu item. So, you'd right click any selection of files in your Everything results list, choose MultiHasher, and see the same list of files, each with a full path and hash value.
latarsha

Post by latarsha »

I'm having a similar issue. My search results all show duplicates. I de-dupe all the time and also have followed up in the folder location of the results. There are no duplicates on my PC, it's just Everything that duplicates the results. All have identical attributes.

I did a test to only search 1 small folder with about 10 different photos. All were taken years apart, different names, different sizes.. etc. The search results in Everything shows me 20 results in that same folder.