update paths from an efu list automatically

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
pharra

update paths from an efu list automatically

Post by pharra »

when I create an efu list and make any changes to the folder name, for example, C: Songs for C: Songs2, I can no longer open files from this list directly from the EFU list, you can have the program update the files automatically, so I can re-access those files?
void
Developer

Re: update paths from an efu list automatically

Post by void »

Everything treats file lists as a static lists.

This means Everything will not monitor changes to files in your file lists.

You will need recreate your file lists.

If you would prefer Everything monitor changes, please consider using folder indexing.
pharra

Post by pharra »

and could not have a list option that would look for these files not found?
Last edited by pharra on Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pharra

Post by pharra »

Thanks for the quick response! do indexing folders will give the possibility of the file efu do auto update after a change made in the address of the files?
pharra

Post by pharra »

I believe that everything has the potential for this, since it is the best and fastest file finder.
if you still do not have this possibility, I suggest that this be implemented.
in the same way that everything can fetch the file by a typed name, it would be able to search for files not found in an efu list, using the names that are in the efu list itself, this would make it possible to execute these files by the efu again.
if you like I'll give you examples of how it would be extremely useful.
laudr19

Post by laudr19 »

pharra wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:54 am when I create an efu list and make any changes to the folder name, for example, C: Songs for C: Songs2, I can no longer open files from this list directly from the EFU list, you can have the program update the files automatically, so I can re-access those files?
that's what I needed.
I have my personal music collection, and I also work as a DJ, so I have a huge amount of MP3 files ...
So I need an organization of these files that is very efficient, and the only solution I have found to date is to have many music files repeated.
Let me explain why:
In my personal collection I separate the songs by artists ..
C: Music / Artists / x / x - y.mp3
but I also need this same song available at:
C: Músicas / Músicas To Play At Parties / Rap / x - y.mp3
Being that this ends up being a waste of space in HD, since it is the same file.
I use the Everything program to search for fast files and I have seen that it also generates .EFU lists, which in addition to showing you the files, gives you the option to play them, but unfortunately any changes made to the files path no longer make it possible to play these files.
If the EFU list was updated, I could quickly make a copy of those files from the list on a USB stick, without having to get a file in each folder.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Like @void already mentioned: EFU files are static filelists.
Compare it to a .m3u playlist or even a family photo:
If you have a new boyfriend, you have to take a new family photo or edit your old boyfriend out/new boyfriend in.
In case of Everything that last one is rather easy: an EFU file is a simple text file that can be opened in Notepad (and similar). Search for \folder 1\ , replace with \folder 2\ , save file and done.

As an alternative, take a look at Hard Links and Junctions (a special type of shortcuts, if you will)