Human readable TOC/index of a folder

Off-topic posts of interest to the "Everything" community.
jgt1942

Human readable TOC/index of a folder

Post by jgt1942 »

I'm looking for something that will create a TOC/index of a specified folder (or drive) and place the results in a file that a person can open with a text editor and search. I have a little FTP site (about 8TB) that is open to some friends and I've created various folders to group things. I updated the folders about once a month(sometimes more often) by either adding or deleting content. I'd like to create a TOC (Table of Contents) in the root of a folder thus allowing somebody to download the TOC, open the TOC in their text editor and then search/view it. Once they find what they want they can then return to the FTP site and download it.

In the past I've used the DOS DIR command to create my TOC via a BAT file but it is a pain keeping it (the bat file) updated and is subject to error on my part. I created a schedule that would automatically run the BAT file at 0300 hours each day (thus ensuring the TOC was updated) and I redirect the results to a file but it (the results file) is not exactly easy to read.

I don't see any options in SE that would do what I want and so far I've not found anything. Any suggestions?
daspud

Re: Human readable TOC/index of a folder

Post by daspud »

There is an SDK for Search Everything and using that you could easily create the list, but are you trying to list the files on an FTP disk? SE only indexes NTFS volumes directly attached to the system running it.
jgt1942

Re: Human readable TOC/index of a folder

Post by jgt1942 »

It is MY FTP site, the HD is local to MY system. I'm trying to make it easy for my users and give them a TOC of what they have access to.

I saw the SDK kit but that means I need to program and understand the language it is programed in. I got out of the programming about 20 years ago and unless it is really simple and there are good examples I can follow, programming for me is not going to happen. I'm hoping for something that is already completed.