everything can not index the file create by mklink /H

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
luchuanbaker

everything can not index the file create by mklink /H

Post by luchuanbaker »

Windows can support hard link file from win7.
We can execute the following command to create a hard link file:

Code: Select all

mklink /H D:\link.txt D:\file.txt
file.txt is just a pure text file, and the link.txt is a file that same as file.txt, `same as` means that: if you edit the content in file.txt, the content in link.txt will also be edited, u can google `hard link` if u need....

when I create the hard link file by command `mklink /H`, I can't see the new file by searching in everything. But if I click the force rebuild index button in the settings page, the hard link file can be find in everything.

That means the file watcher of everything ignore the hard link file. And I have added `*.lnk` into the except list of everything, is this the reason?
therube

Re: everything can not index the file create by mklink /H

Post by therube »

Per viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6189 it seems that 1.4 should see all hard links, though you may need to do a Force Rebuild before it sees "newly" created hard links (as in with your example the newly created link is not seen).
void
Developer

Re: everything can not index the file create by mklink /H

Post by void »

Just to confirm, Everything does not detect changes to all hard links (only one). This is a limitation with Everything and the USN Change Journal.

I plan to have Everything update all hard links in a future release.

For now you will need to force a rebuild as this will reindex all your hard links.

To force a rebuild:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab on the left.
  • Click Force Rebuild.
  • Click OK.