Everything does not remember the user's last set (customized) bar

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Debugger

Post by Debugger »

Name, Path, Size etc.
This is terribly annoying! Please fix this!
horst.epp

Re: Everything does not remember the user's last set (customized) bar

Post by horst.epp »

No such problem here with Version 1.4.1.894 (x64)
Whatever columns I select is restored on next start.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please make sure "Everything" is able to save its settings to disk.
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Ensure "Everything" has write permission to %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Click OK.
If you are referring to the column sort order, "Everything" will only remember "fast" sorts.
A "fast" sort is where the information is indexed.

For example, for Everything to remember sorting by size, you will need to have size indexing and fast size sort is enabeld.

To enable size indexing and fast size sort:
  • Click the Indexes tab on the left.
  • Check Index File Size.
  • Check Fast Size Sort.
  • Click OK.
This can be overwritten by setting a custom home sort:
  • Click the Home tab on the left.
  • Change Sort to your desired default sort.
  • Click OK.
Note: This will be very slow for information that is not indexed.
This sort will also reset to name ascending after you change the search.

If you wish to force persistent sorting, please see:
https://www.voidtools.com/support/every ... _keep_sort
Note: Enabling always_keep_sort will make "Everything" extremely slow when sorting by information that is not indexed.
Cleoss

Post by Cleoss »

I'm using portable version 1.4.1.877 (x64), it seems to forget a bar set on pressing reboot (but I'm not sure, it need to be tested). And I've just tested if it remember settings on exit. All settings (columns, their size, sort column, sort type -- asc or desc) are stored correctly.

Now something about indexes (http://www.voidtools.com/support/everyt ... s/#indexes).
Today I've connected an external USB HDD which was using FAT32 file system (FS), which is absent in the list of all FSs in Everything's options. Btw many flash usb-drives are using FAT32 too. To make an export of filelist from this drive I needed to go to Options > Indexes > Folders > Add, wait for it to be indexed, do the export and then manually remove it. So Everything can see the filelist of this drive but it doesn't add it automatically (like it does for NTFS) and even doesn't have an option for that. I wish all other understandable by Everything FSs (or just FAT/FAText/FAT32) to have an option like NTFS does (if it's possible).

And the one more thing I want to tell about filelists. Today I have made all my disks' filelists in EFU and then I wanted to connect all of them to be searcheable inside Everything by adding them one by one with Options > Indexes > Filelists > Add, but the one thing that stoppped me from doing so is that I need the search thru that offline volumes NOT always, but I can connect all this filelists by the pressing of ONE button. I think it would be great if Everything'd have an option to connect/disconnect ALL filelists at once:

PS. Unfortunatelly, the button for forced reindex indexes all drive that can take some minutes, it can't reindex only some volumes/drives/folders/FSs selected by user.

Thx for attention!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Cleoss wrote:I wish all other understandable by Everything FSs (or just FAT/FAText/FAT32) to have an option like NTFS does (if it's possible).
That might get messy: your local NTFS drives will be double-indexed (once NTFS-, once folder-indexing). And not everyone wants to index all their network disks, every DVD you load, etc.
I think it would be great if Everything'd have an option to connect/disconnect ALL filelists at once:
If you put all the EFU's in one folder, you can select them all in the dialog box and add them in one step.
PS. Unfortunatelly, the button for forced reindex indexes all drive that can take some minutes, it can't reindex only some volumes/drives/folders/FSs selected by user.
You can do that if the disk is folder-indexed: seect the disk (/folder) and select "Rescan now"
An NTFS-indexed volume can be separately "forced reindexed" by:
  • Disable Include in database for that volume
  • Press Apply
  • Enable Include in database for that volume
  • Press Apply
You can follow the progress of that on the statusbar of the Everything window.
Cleoss

Post by Cleoss »

NotNull wrote:
Cleoss wrote:I wish all other understandable by Everything FSs to have an option like NTFS does.
And not everyone wants to index all their network disks, every DVD you load, etc.
Yeah, that's why i talk about option.
NotNull wrote:If you put all the EFU's in one folder, you can select them all in the dialog box and add them in one step.
But can i unconnect 'em with one step?
NotNull wrote:An NTFS-indexed volume can be separately "forced reindexed".
You can follow the progress of that on the statusbar of the Everything window.
Yes, but that time I had rare FAT32 fs. I can't see the progress in the status bar:
Image, then Image and when finished i see this:

Image Maybe smth wrong with my preferences or you meant exactly that progress?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

When you re=scan a folder-indexed volume, that will show in the options dialog (see the added [Rescanning]:
2018-03-09 22_20_33-Everything Options.png
2018-03-09 22_20_33-Everything Options.png (14.37 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
If you see 0 objects, that might be caused by the current search query and/or search filter
Cleoss

Post by Cleoss »

NotNull wrote:When you re=scan a folder-indexed volume, that will show in the options dialog (see the added [Rescanning])
Yes, as I told in 1st my comment here, i did used this folder-indexation.

Btw, I've got another bug today while scanning two of my HDDs. Each time I made a "Force Rescan", Everything showed different volume's size, but each time this info wasn't correct. Export results of particular rescans were different for the same disk too and lacked many files in the list.
In WinExplorer disk D has 48 of 99 MBs free, but in Everything it has only 1.5 MB of data. Disk F has 48-14=34 GB, but Everything tolds about 9 MB.
For some of my broken HDDs I was succeed with the export from about 5 attempt, but some disks always showed incorrect size (and only a few of files).

Also Everything had seen not all the files and folders on such broken disk, and some of them had 0 bytes size in Everything, but in the WinExplorer all was ok, inc. all files were shown and had a non-zero size. That disk for some years wasn't in use.

Below is what the next rescan shows of the same disk (with 3 virtual volumes on it):

In the next variant shown size is 1GB+ more than real capacity, but that's ok. Coz I can make a full filelist export for this disk.
Image and Image