I can not determine the error!

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Nickon

I can not determine the error!

Post by Nickon »

Sorry for the bad English, I'm from Russia. I translate through Google translator.

Hi, I've been using Everithing for a very long time, everything worked fine and stable. And just recently, even before the update, a strange situation occurred. At startup, the application freezes. In the status line the message: "Search for excluded files". This message does not stop, 2.3, 4 hours or more ... And the program does not start working.
At first I thought that the reason was in the Anti-Virus. Since the day before I installed Avast Internet Security. I uninstalled Avast and rebooted the computer. This did not solve the problem.

Then I began to understand. Completely deleted the base.

I have 12 logical drives. I have disabled all drives and many options in the settings. And gradually began to add disks. And it turned out that when you add one of the disks, in particular, "E:", it crashes. If I do not add this disk, then the application still works well.

Only now I can not understand, for what reasons, there was a failure on the disk "E:". I can not remember what would have made any recent changes in Disk "E:".

Help please understand. Without the program, as without hands.

Thank you in advance.
void
Developer

Re: I can not determine the error!

Post by void »

I've seen a similar error before, where Everything would get stuck scanning your last drive.
It is caused by a folder whose parent is one of its subfolders, checking the disk for errors should fix the issue.

To check all your disks for errors:
  • Please backup anything important on your drive before checking it for errors.
  • In Windows Explorer, right click your drive and click Properties.
  • Click the Tools tab.
  • Click Check now....
  • Click Start.
  • If prompted to schedule a scan on the next restart, click Yes.
While Everything may show that it is stuck indexing the last drive, it could be any drive with the issue.
Please check all disks for errors.

Here is a version of Everything 1.4.1.877 x86 that ignores these types of folders:
http://www.voidtools.com/Everything-sub ... arent3.zip
Nickon

Post by Nickon »

sorry, did not have the opportunity to deal with this problem and check your answer, I was busy. Although many times in every possible way I checked all my disks for errors and even defragmented them. Result = "0".

Now I've downloaded the version proposed by you, installed it, launched it, everything is exactly the same. The program hangs on SEARCHING FOR EXCLUDED FOLDERS.

And I found out that it hangs only if the Drive "E:" is turned on. If I turn off the surveillance of Drive "E:", the program works fine.

the only solution is to turn off Drive "E:"
Attachments
Error Everything_2.png
Error Everything_2.png (24.12 KiB) Viewed 3953 times
&quot;Search for excluded folders&quot;<br /><br />a message appears and the program no longer works.
"Search for excluded folders"

a message appears and the program no longer works.
Error Everything.png (16.31 KiB) Viewed 3953 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

Could you please send the debug output with Everything-subfolder.is.own.parent2:
  • Download Everything-subfolder.is.own.parent2.zip
  • Completely exit Everything. (End Everything.exe task with task manager)
  • Please make sure the Everything service is started (if installed)
  • Run the Everything.exe in Everything-subfolder.is.own.parent2.zip with the -debug command line option:
    Everything.exe -debug
What is displayed in the debug console when Everything crashes/hangs when indexing your E: drive?

Please send any debug output to support@voidtools.com