Everything.exe -quit creates a new database + INI-file

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
NotNull

Everything.exe -quit creates a new database + INI-file

Post by NotNull »

I am working on a script to run Everything from a USB-stick (*) ,so you can create a database per machine on that USB stick. (Very useful for servicing multiple systems and having the indexes available at all times)
But ... I got "stuck" on the way to stop an Everything instance.

The script creates per machine a folder in which this system's INI and database are placed.
These can be viewed offline with parameters -read-only -instance
If I try to stop a *non*-running Everything instance (for example: everything.exe -quit -instance abc ), Everything creates an empty database and a default ini (Everything-abc.db and Everything-abc.ini) in the executable's folder.

EDIT: Same goes for Everything.exe -quit if there is no Everything running: it will create Everything.db and Everything.ini in the executable's folder.

I can work around that by checking the running processes first, or just don't stop the instances (it's read-only, so no harm done :-), but it might be "cleaner" if the -quit -instance option doesn't create these files.
Not a big deal; merely a suggestion to make a wonderful product even better!

(And not even sure if this qualifies as a bug or as a suggestion; based on the phase of the moon it became a bug ;-)

(*) Almost done; will post the script soon
Last edited by NotNull on Sat May 09, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Re: Everything.exe -quit creates a new database + INI-file

Post by void »

This is by design, Everything will update the database and then quit, unless you specify not to update the database:
Everything.exe -quit -no-first-instance

If Everything is not already running, then -no-first-instance will cause Everything to exit immediately after running.
NotNull

Re: Everything.exe -quit creates a new database + INI-file

Post by NotNull »

Thanks for the (quick) reply!

After posting, I thought about it and came to the same conclusion: in a "normal" case you do want the -quit option to write the database to disk.
Everything can't magically assume what I want this time ...

And thanks for pointing out the "-no-first-instance" option. No idea it could be used in combination with -quit.
In this particular case it is not useful for me though, as most of the times I *do* want to write the database to disk.
So I wrote a short script to take care of these situations. Will post it later today. Maybe it can be useful for someone else.