Problem during computer restart

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
kanenas

Problem during computer restart

Post by kanenas »

Hello.
I rarely restart my Windows 7 but when I do, Everything wastes too many CPU cycles to initialize.
The problem started with the last betas including the current one I use (830b). I'm using the x86 version with a service under x64 Windows.

The following happens during a normal restart (not a visible crash, but I forgot to verify with the Windows event log).
What happens is, Everything can spend much more than 15 minutes (when I give up waiting), claiming it's updating its database (no scanning through the drives at that time) with the CPU at 100%.
If I ask it to force an update, it still does the same thing. Blank panel with the "updating" status bar message.

The only way out of it, is to kill the Everything process, delete its database, restart Everything. It starts scanning and finishes in a minute.

Not sure why it behaves like that but it looks either like a bug or some file being locked maybe?
I have a way around it so I don't mind but would it help to identify the problem if I run it in debug mode during a restart?
void
Developer

Re: Problem during computer restart

Post by void »

Thanks for the bug report.

When you restart does Windows/Everything shutdown correctly? are your Everything settings saved?

Did Windows update after restarting?

There might be thousands of USN records to process since the last Everything.db was written, 15+ mins seems excessive...
Everything will process about 100 USN records per second.

Please check your system for file system spam by using the Everything verbose debug output:
  • In Everything 830b+, type in the following search and press enter:
    /verbose
  • In Everything 830b+, type in the following search and press enter:
    /debug
  • Take not of lines starting with cyan colored USN_RECORD and also the filename.
The next time you restart and Everything is taking a long time to "update", please try entering verbose debug mode as mentioned above.
Is there anything shown in the debug console while Everything is "updating" ?
kanenas

Re: Problem during computer restart

Post by kanenas »

No Windows update. I do them manually. The settings are also fine.

I did a restart but after I fixed what I think the problem was.
After this restart, Everything behaved just fine.

As I mentioned, I don't reboot my system often.
Before I restarted it for this test, I had a look at Everything's database folder in APPDATA.
Not a real database there. Just the Everything.db.tmp

It seems after I updated to 830b, the database folder in the options, was blanked out (maybe, though I remember setting it).
I set it to APPDATA again, it created the proper Everything.db and after the restart, it picked it up right away.

It seems the reason for the long process was that Everything, during system shutdown, didn't have time to save the temporary database it was using and it could't handle properly the *.tmp database during startup.

The restart was a proper Windows one so either Windows didn't wait long enough for a response from Everything, or Everything took longer than Windows liked. The database is just over 50 MB by the way.

That's it. I hope it points to something fixable.
Regards.