File sizes incorrect

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
benshepherd

File sizes incorrect

Post by benshepherd »

Everything 1.4.1.809b (x64) seems to show some incorrect file sizes. I noticed it previously but it didn't break anything for me so I wrote it off as "doesn't matter at the moment". But this morning I wanted to find a large log file but couldn't see it in Everything. It reported the size as 1KB but actually it was 4GB! See attached. (I guess this was the size when it was first created?) I have the "Index file sizes" option checked.
everything-wrong-size.png
everything-wrong-size.png (16.82 KiB) Viewed 8120 times
void
Developer

Re: File sizes incorrect

Post by void »

The file is most likely still open. (Check with Process Explorer)

Everything will only update the size of the file once all handles to the file are closed.

I have on my TODO list to monitor shell changes and directory changes to try and pick up size changes more frequently.
benshepherd

Post by benshepherd »

You're correct, it was still open. Sorry, I should have thought of that. I've just grown used to Everything's godlike ability to know exactly what's happening in my file system all the time!
skribb

Post by skribb »

Does the same apply for folders? check THIS puppy out! :lol:
Attachments
tttttttttttttttttttttt.png
tttttttttttttttttttttt.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 8105 times
void
Developer

Post by void »

What version of Everything is that skribb?

I'm curious what is the actual size of that file? Would it happen to be 71,913,472 bytes?
Is the G: drive a NTFS volume and is it indexed as a NTFS volume in Everything (Under Tools -> Options -> NTFS).
skribb

Post by skribb »

void wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:18 am What version of Everything is that skribb?

I'm curious what is the actual size of that file? Would it happen to be 71,913,472 bytes?
Is the G: drive a NTFS volume and is it indexed as a NTFS volume in Everything (Under Tools -> Options -> NTFS).
i'm not sure what happened these last 2 years, but the size reporting is correct now :lol:
Janus

Post by Janus »

@void

Is there a way you can have Everything indicate that a file is open?

Not for all of them, just the ones shown in the gui, or as a tag in IPC searches?

Janus.
Janus

Post by Janus »

@therube

I have and use this tool.
However, I was hoping there was a simple way for the function to be included without the extra step of opening that tool.
Switching tools can break work flow, so I try to avoid it.

Janus.