Cannot exclude $Recycle.Bin folder from UI

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
eyebex

Cannot exclude $Recycle.Bin folder from UI

Post by eyebex »

As already mentioned here, choosing "Recycle Bin" from the "Add Folder.." dialog in the "Exclude" settings has no effect, you need to add the filter string "C:\$Recycle.Bin" manually.
void
Developer

Re: Cannot exclude $Recycle.Bin folder from UI

Post by void »

The Recycle Bin under your Desktop? that's a virtual folder.
Everything does not work with Virtual folders (yet).
You will need to add the $Recycle.Bin under each volume manually, as this folder is normally hidden.

Adding the Recycle Bin from within the Everything Search UI would be useful too, -it's on my TODO list.
eyebex

Post by eyebex »

Ah, right, I forgot that it's a virtual folder that does not map to a specific volume's $Recycle.Bin folder. Still, as it's odd that nothing happens when choosing that folder in the dialog, how about just adding all $Recycle.Bin folders for all volumes to the exclude list if the virtual folder is selected? That would be convenient and probably do what most users want: If you want to exclude $Recycle.Bin, you probably want to do that on all volumes.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I've added the flag BIF_RETURNONLYFSDIRS to SHBrowseForFolder for the next beta update.

This will allow only folders that have a valid path to be shown in the browse for folder dialog.
eyebex

Post by eyebex »

But how would you add the $Recycle.Bin folder(s) from the dialog then? With them being system folders, they do not show up in the dialog. "Mis"-using the virtual "Recycle Bin" folder to add them for all volumes still looks like a better solution to me.
therube

Post by therube »

@eyebex, what OS are you on?

Browse for Folder shows $Recycle.Bin on my end, Win7.

----

images hosting
eyebex

Post by eyebex »

I'm on Windows 10 x64. But maybe it's related to Windows Explorer's "show hidden files" settings?
void
Developer

Post by void »

For Windows 10 it's hide protected operating system files (under Explorer -> Tools -> Options -> View).