Huge memory consumption

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
DavidGDFC

Huge memory consumption

Post by DavidGDFC »

Hello,

I've been testing the latest beta (1.4.1.782b) and, as the programme didn't respond when I clicked on the icon on the Windows bar, I opened the task manager. As you can see, it shows huge memory consumption.

I understand it's just a beta, but maybe this feedback can be of any help. I'm using Windows 10 x64 (14393.351) and I have 8 GB or RAM.

Thank you!
Attachments
everything.png
everything.png (62.4 KiB) Viewed 9570 times
void
Developer

Re: Huge memory consumption

Post by void »

Thanks for the bug report.

Any reason why you have four instances of Everything running? Are you using multiple instances? there should be at most 2, one for the client, another for the service.

Is the problem reproducible?

Could you please send me your debug output:
  • Completely exit Everything.
  • Run Everything.exe with the -debug command line option:
    Everything.exe -debug
  • Once Everything has shown some results, what is displayed in the debug console?
Does Everything's memory steadily grow? there must be a memory leak somewhere, hopefully the debug log can locate it..
DavidGDFC

Post by DavidGDFC »

Hello,

1. I have these two options enabled: "Create a new window from the system tray" and "Create a new window when running Everything". Sometimes I have two or three windows open at the same time, though, in this case, no window was open. I realized there was a problem when I tried to click on the Windows bar icon to open one. Therefore, those multiple instances don't make sense.

2. I don't know if the problem reproducible. From now on, I'll try to run Everything with the debug console on, though I don't know if I'll be able to understand why it says. Does it produce some kind of long I can send you via e-mail? I can't see anything on the Everything folder.

3. I'll check the task manager from time to time to see if there's huge memory consumption again.

4. By the way, I forgot to mention that I'm running the portable version of Everything x64.

Thank you for your time!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the detailed information.

Please try Everything 1.4.1.784b:
http://www.voidtools.com/Everything-1.4.1.784b.x64.zip
http://www.voidtools.com/Everything-1.4.1.784b.x86.zip

784b has memory debugging enabled and all debugging is logged to Everything-Debug.txt in the same location as your Everything.exe.

Please send your Everything-Debug.txt to support@voidtools.com
DavidGDFC

Post by DavidGDFC »

Hi,

Thank you for the files! I've tried the x64 beta version you posted above and it doesn't index my C: drive. I've deleted the configuration files to reset the settings, but it didn't fix my problem.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for your reply.

Please send me your Everything-debug.txt.
The Everything-debug.txt will give a detailed log of what happened.

A couple notes when running a new beta for testing:
* Put the Everything.exe in its own separate folder, make sure Everything.exe will have write permission to this folder, on the desktop is ideal, or c:\Everything
* If you have the Everything service installed, the new beta should connect to it, otherwise, run as administrator.
* Please make sure no other Everything is not running (right click the Everything system tray icon and click Exit)

Please check if the C: drive is included in the Everything index:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options
  • Click the NTFS tab.
  • Select your C: drive
  • Check Include in database
DavidGDFC

Post by DavidGDFC »

Thank you: I think I solved the problem by running it as administrator.

How long do you need me to run Everything before I send you the log?
void
Developer

Post by void »

The log should have enough information in it, It would be nice to catch the high memory usage with the extra debugging information. What you have now might be enough to hint at the issue.
DavidGDFC

Post by DavidGDFC »

In that case, I've just sent you the log.

Thanks you!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the debug log, I can't see anything out of the ordinary.. Please let me know if the issue occurs again.
DavidGDFC

Post by DavidGDFC »

No problem. As far as I know, it's only happened to me once. As I said, I realized there was a problem because I couldn't open a new instance.

If I notice something else, I'll let you. Thank you for your time!
kanenas

Post by kanenas »

I also have a RAM consumption problem but not as a result of a leak. The values are stable and the debug log has nothing out of the ordinary.

I use .782m now but the problem started with the previous version (.713b I think).
This is on Win 7 SP1 x64 with two partitioned internal drives and 3 USB ones. Total of 7 monitored partitions. I use Everything in service mode.

The Private Working Set allocation when it initially starts up (no search specified) is around 407 MB
If I do a search that returns a 1 item, the memory goes down to around 395. Other searches fall in between those two.
This could mean that it uses around 12 MB for its display structures.

If I disable 'Run History', it shaves off around 3 MB from the above range.

All nice and quick but the beta version I had before those two (one of the 1.4.x ones that I've deleted already), had a total allocation around 280 MB.
That's quite a difference between the two versions that on my small memory footprint computer, I keep shutting down Everything in order to run some biggie program.

Are the older versions available somewhere so I can go back to one of them?

Thanks.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Disable the additional indexing options for the same memory usage as previous versions of Everything:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexing tab.
  • Uncheck Index recent changes.
  • Uncheck Index file size.
  • Uncheck Index date modified.
  • Uncheck fast path sort.
  • Click OK.
Also, the x64 version has about twice the ram usage as the x86 version.

Previous versions of Everything:
http://www.voidtools.com/support/everyt ... _versions/
kanenas

Post by kanenas »

Thanks for the pointers.
Just doing your suggestions, the memory usage is down to 262 MB. What I had before :)
I'll try the x86 version too. It should support a system with 5-6 million of files I'd think (and hope).

Thanks again.