[Solved] Single instance doesn't work on W7, but works on W10

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
V@no

[Solved] Single instance doesn't work on W7, but works on W10

Post by V@no »

Hello.

When disabled "Create a new window when running Everything" and Everything already running, launching everything.exe again starts a new instance instead of opening window from already running process. (taskmanager shows two everything.exe running)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 (UAC disabled)
Everything 1.4.1.782b x64 Portable

P.S.
On Windows 10 x64 UA with UAC at 1st level - no such issue.

Solution:
Open everything.ini file in a text editor find allow_multiple_instances and set it to 0
Last edited by V@no on Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
therube

Re: Single instance doesn't work on W7, but works on W10

Post by therube »

(Not on Win7 at present...)

On Win7, I'll assume you are also using UAC & not the Everything Service?
(For me, I use the service even though I use "portable".)

Can you verify that the two "Everything.exe" that you see are in fact separate instances & not one GUI & one service.

Not sure if Task Manager will differentiate? But Process Hacker or Process Explorer can.

I'm thinking that it wouldn't make sense for a new instance to be being created if the -instance switch isn't being used somewhere in there?
therube

Post by therube »

Single instance
Also note that the mentioned options do not deal with "instances" but rather "windows".
V@no

Post by V@no »

therube wrote:On Win7, I'll assume you are also using UAC & not the Everything Service?
UAC is disabled on W7 and Everything runns as admin, service is disabled.

On W10 UAC is enabled and Everything runs as administrator, service also disabled.
therube wrote:Can you verify that the two "Everything.exe" that you see are in fact separate instances & not one GUI & one service.

Not sure if Task Manager will differentiate? But Process Hacker or Process Explorer can.
Since there is no service running only one everything.exe instance needed, even when multiple GUI windows are opened. Having more everything.exe shown in task manager is a good indicator they are two separate unrelated instances. The second clue when launching second instance it produces an error message "Unable to start ETP server: bind failed 10048". My guess it means server is already running/port already in use. And finally there are multiple tray icons after each additional launch ;)
therube wrote:I'm thinking that it wouldn't make sense for a new instance to be being created if the -instance switch isn't being used somewhere in there?
Yes, that what I thought too.
therube wrote:
Single instance
Also note that the mentioned options do not deal with "instances" but rather "windows".
Ok, does it also mean that it supposed to run as single instance to begin with? Because I don't see any options to enable/disable that, otherwise "Create a new window when running Everything" wouldn't make sense...
V@no

Post by V@no »

Just tried Everything from W7 on W10 machine and it now launches multiple instances. So it must be something in the config.

After quick compare the everything.ini files between W7 and W10 machines I found there is a allow_multiple_instances setting that when set to 0 will enable single instance...

Problem solved.