Vim 8.0 (x86)
Salamander file manager
Context menu shows when open Windows Explorer from within Everything
void
Developer

Re: Edit with Vim Context Menu Missing?

Post by void »

Everything 771 x86
You will most likely need the x64 version of Everything, or, if possible, install the x86 version of Vim.
therube

Post by therube »

Vim is (& AFAIK only) x86.

(Some Registry entires:)

Code: Select all

HKCR\*\OpenWithList\gvim.exe		REG_SZ		09/19/2016 08:18:17 PM	1	
HKCR\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\gvim		REG_SZ	{51EEE242-AD87-11d3-9C1E-0090278BBD99}	09/19/2016 08:18:17 PM	39	
HKCR\.htm\OpenWithList\gvim.exe		REG_SZ		09/19/2016 08:18:17 PM	1	
HKCR\.vim\OpenWithList\gvim.exe		REG_SZ		09/19/2016 08:18:17 PM	1	
HKCR\Applications\gvim.exe\shell\edit\command		REG_SZ	"C:\DEV\VIM\vim80\gvim.exe" "%1"	09/19/2016 08:18:17 PM	33	
HKCR\Applications\gvim.exe\shell\open\command		REG_SZ	"C:\BIN\gvim.exe" "%1"	11/12/2014 01:19:23 AM	23	
HKCR\CLSID\{0F0BFAE1-4C90-11D1-82D7-0004AC368519}\LocalServer32		REG_SZ	C:\DEV\VIM\vim80\gvim.exe	09/19/2016 08:18:17 PM	26	
HKCR\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache	C:\BIN\gvim.exe	REG_SZ	Vi Improved - A Text Editor	10/19/2016 07:48:35 PM	28	
HKCR\TypeLib\{0F0BFAE0-4C90-11D1-82D7-0004AC368519}\1.1\0\win32		REG_SZ	C:\DEV\VIM\vim80\gvim.exe	09/19/2016 08:18:17 PM	26	

HKCR\*\OpenWithList\gvim.exe                                                                                                                                          REG_SZ                                                                 
HKCR\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\gvim                                                                                                                               REG_SZ                           {51EEE242-AD87-11d3-9C1E-0090278BBD99}
HKCR\.htm\OpenWithList\gvim.exe                                                                                                                                       REG_SZ                                                                 
HKCR\.vim\OpenWithList\gvim.exe                                                                                                                                       REG_SZ                                                                 
HKCR\Applications\gvim.exe\shell\edit\command                                                                                                                         REG_SZ                           "C:\DEV\VIM\vim80\gvim.exe" "%1"      
HKCR\Applications\gvim.exe\shell\open\command                                                                                                                         REG_SZ                           "C:\BIN\gvim.exe" "%1"                
HKCR\CLSID\{0F0BFAE1-4C90-11D1-82D7-0004AC368519}\LocalServer32                                                                                                       REG_SZ                           C:\DEV\VIM\vim80\gvim.exe             
therube

Post by therube »

On XP, the context menu item is there as expected.

HKCR\*\OpenWithList\gvim.exe                                                                                                                                          REG_SZ
HKCR\.htm\OpenWithList\gvim.exe                                                                                                                                       REG_SZ
HKCR\.vim\OpenWithList\gvim.exe                                                                                                                                       REG_SZ
HKCR\Applications\gvim.exe\shell\edit\command                                                                                                                         REG_SZ                           "C:\DEV\VIM\vim80\gvim.exe" "%1"
HKCR\Applications\gvim.exe\shell\open\command                                                                                                                         REG_SZ                           "C:\BIN\gvim.exe" "%1"
HKCU\Software\Classes\Applications\gvim.exe\shell\open\command                                                                                                        REG_SZ                           "C:\BIN\gvim.exe" "%1"
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\OpenWithList\gvim.exe                                                                                                                         REG_SZ
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm\OpenWithList\gvim.exe                                                                                                                      REG_SZ
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.vim\OpenWithList\gvim.exe                                                                                                                      REG_SZ
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\gvim.exe\shell\edit\command                                                                                                        REG_SZ                           "C:\DEV\VIM\vim80\gvim.exe" "%1"

I'll have to see what x64 Everything does later.
therube

Post by therube »

Old, http://davidvielmetter.com/tricks/conte ... ows-7-x64/.
And in my case, the context-menu is there, just not with Everything.

http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/g ... ult-editor

(With quick looks at this, Win7 Registry entries vs XP Registry entires [found using RegScanner]...)
Win7 has:
HKCR\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\gvim
&
HKCR\CLSID\{0F0BFAE1-4C90-11D1-82D7-0004AC368519}\LocalServer32
which I didn't see on the XP end (again, with quick looks...).

(Only recently, with Vim 8.0, did I ever actually install Vim in Win7 [though I have long used Vim there, but to a far lessor extent then on XP], so it has only been recently that that I would have ever had the context-menu there to begin with. On XP, I have had the context-menu there for ages.)

I'll also note that 'Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware' is also void ;-) in Everything in Win7 (though not that I care about that), but it does show up on XP.
therube

Post by therube »

You will most likely need the x64 version of Everything
x64 Everything 777b shows both 'Edit with Vim' & also 'Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-malware'.

And come to think of it (though I rarely give it a thought), but Altap Salamander is x64 too (& it even says it).

And some more ah's.

When I looked before, both vim.exe & gvim.exe are 32-bit, & they are.
But, gvimext.dll is x64.
Edit with Vim doesn't work on win64.

Likewise mbam.exe is 32-bit & mbamext.dll is x64.

So what I really need is gvimext.dll (32-bit) for 32-bit applications & gvimext64.dll for x64 applications.

I know some applications you can install twice, as 32, & also as 64, to get the desired effect...

Now what about LinkShellExtension... It sets up a dually, or something or the other, its overlay icons show up in both x86 & x64 Everything.
Windows ...64

This version contains the 64bit version of Link Shell Extension, but also contains a 32bit version, which is installed in parallel to the 64bit version, to satisfy third party filemanagers/explorers like total commander.
And instalDir/HardlinkShellExt.dll is x64.
And instalDir/32/HardlinkShellExt.dll is 32-bit.