1.40.713b: Newly created files not displayed when using Everything service.

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
SuUser

1.40.713b: Newly created files not displayed when using Everything service.

Post by SuUser »

Everything service is installed and Everything runs in a standard user environment without administrator rights.
With version 1.40.713b or even 1.41.721b Everything does not display newly generated files. With version 1.40.705b this worked well.

The verification sequence is as follows.
Preconditions:
- Everything service is installed always running
- The NTFS volume is included into the database; changes are monitored; USN Journal enabled
- Everything is started as normal user without administrator rights

The test sequence is:
- start Everything.exe and sort files by date.
- create a new file
----> a.) with version 1.40.705b this file appears immediately in the results display.
----> b.) with versions 1.40.713b or after the new file is not displayed. Even pressing F5 does not work.
- exit Everything.exe
- start Everything.exe
----> The database seems to be loaded and the new file is now also displayed with version 1.40.713b

Apparently, the client is not informed about changes by the service.

On Win7 I could not reproduce this issue.
Last edited by SuUser on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
therube

Re: 1.40.713b: Newly created files not displayed when using Everything service.

Post by therube »

See if a Force Rebuild of the index accomplishes anything?
SuUser

Post by SuUser »

Options - Indexes - Force Rebuild updates the database and the display.

However, the updates are displayed when I start Everything.exe with administrator privileges on a Windows-XP system.
Then, the debug output when saving an open file to disk (new file time) is:
monitor wakeup timer 1000
_db_monitor_ntfs_update_event_proc 0
WAIT 1000, 2 waits
start _db_monitor_ntfs_update_thread_proc
update index C:
updated C: in 0.000060 seconds
_db_monitor_ntfs_process_usn_records_thread_proc
waited 0
monitor wakeup timer 1000
WAIT 1000, 2 waits
processed ntfs usn records in 0.001166 seconds
DB_WAIT: _db_ready_proc waiting...
DB_WAIT: _db_ready_proc waited 0.000437 seconds
new results
waited 1031
WAIT 0, 3 waits
For the same action (save opened file to disk) and Everything.exe started without administrator privileges there is NO (not any) output to the debug window.

If I start Everything version 1.40.705b WITHOUT administrator privileges and save opened file to disk, the display is correctly updated with the new file time and the debug output reports:
new results
WM_ACTIVATE 00000000 00000000, lastfocus 00230372, current focus 00230372
update m 0 24053600
update index C:
update icon testfile.txt
resume ntfs monitor 0
updated C: in 0.001225 seconds
DB_WAIT: _db_ready_proc waiting...
DB_WAIT: _db_ready_proc waited 0.000312 seconds
new results
update m 0 24053600
update index C:
resume ntfs monitor 0
By the way, the Everything service was never stopped between the tests.
Everything version 1.40.705b can communicate with service of version 1.40.713b but Everything 1.40.713b cannot communicate with service of version 1.40.705b! Apparently, communication methodology has changed, maybe involving some issues either with Win-XP or with restricted user privileges.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the debug output.

The Everything service is not compatible between different Everything versions.

Please try reinstalling the service for 1.4.0.713b:
  • In Everything 1.4.0.713b, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab.
  • Check Everything Service.
  • Click OK.
-or-

Run Everything administrator.

-or-

Use named instances for each different version.

For example:
Everything.exe -instance 713b
Everything.exe -instance 705b

Does the issue still occur when the correct service is used?
SuUser

Post by SuUser »

I have tested with different combinations of executable and service (e.g. 705b with 705b service; 713b with 705b service; 705b with 713b service; 713b with 713b service).
Even combination 705b with 713b service has no issue but combination 713b with either 705b service or 713b service have.

A used test sequence is:
Everything 705b is installed as executable and as service, pointing to C:\Everything\Everything.exe -svc
The account is a standard user with standard rights on Win-XP.
- test with 705b: changes are displayed
- exit Everything
- from an administrator console stop service: net stop Everything
- rename Everything.exe to Everything705b.exe and Everything713b.exe to Everything.exe
- from administrator console start service, which should start service from 713b version: net start Everything
- start Everything.exe (now 713b):
. volume is scanned
. further changes are not displayed without forcing a rebuild of the indexes database.

However, maybe this is only a Win-XP issue. When the same test is done on Win7 it seems that there are no such issues with version 713b and greater.

Furthermore, when Everything.exe (713b) is started with administrator rights (e.g. run as administrator from the standard user account) using the service there is also no issue and changes are displayed immediately.
therube

Post by therube »

> The account is a standard user with standard rights on Win-XP.

"Standard" as in what XP calls a "Limited" (as opposed to an "Administrator") account?
(I've only ever used [& use] Administrator on XP, so no idea how that might affect things.)

> from administrator console start service, which should start service from 713b

Is that in fact true?
Does NET STOP perform the same function as Everything.exe -uninstall-service?
No it does not.
When you run NET START all it does is to restart the (last) -install-service.
(At least that's the way its looking on my end. Process Hacker or similar will show the path to the START'd service & its version.)

If getting the right service installed does not accomplish anything, then if you are in fact using a "Limited" user account, try instead with an Administrator account.

Code: Select all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\DEV\Locate\713>Everything_713.exe -uninstall-service

C:\DEV\Locate\713>Everything_713.exe -install-service

C:\DEV\Locate\713>net stop everything
The Everything service is stopping.
The Everything service was stopped successfully.

[at this point...
i copied a different everything.exe into the /713/...]

C:\DEV\Locate\713>net start everything
System error 2 has occurred.

The system cannot find the file specified.
Then renamed that everything.exe to everything_713.exe.

Code: Select all

C:\DEV\Locate\713>net start everything

The Everything service was started successfully.
With that...
- the Process shows as "Everything_713.exe", though it is is actually not "713" (which is fine).
- the Service points to "C:\DEV\Locate\713\Everything_713.exe" -svc, & at this point in time, likewise is not "713", regardless of the naming (& again fine).

So, it seems if you did do the steps correctly, you could have ended up with the wanted particular everything service running. So my "No it does not." (above) is not entirely correct.

(Anyhow, I'd think it be easier, clearer, to run specifically (re)named instances of Everything.exe & use its -install-service / -uninstall-service functions. At least it is for me.)

So, assuming you did do things correctly & do have the expected service running, see if it might not be an issue with Limited vs Administrator user account.
SuUser

Post by SuUser »

On Windows-XP there are predefined account-types like administrator, power-user, user and some more.
My standard account is a "user" account and also displayed as "limited account" in some dialogues.
Therefore, I have to install and de-install services from a second administrator account.

The service is registered as C:\Everything\Everything.exe" -svc in the service dialogue. This path is only changed, if the service is installed.

I checked the running processes and services with Sysinternals ProcessExplorer. But such tools do only show the version of the file, to which this entry is pointing.
Because Everything service does not block the Everything.exe file, you can just rename it.
But the loaded service follows the renamed file. Only Processhacker in the "Threads" tab then shows the name of the renamed executable, from which the service was started.

But when the service is stopped and started (loaded) again, the service is loaded from the file given in the service registration, which keeps its string.
So, assuming you did do things correctly & do have the expected service running, see if it might not be an issue with Limited vs Administrator user account.
However, I did a clear reinstall to version 713b and restarted the computer. I verified with ProcessHacker the service version to be 713b.
The issue is still present for limited user account rights. Only if I assign administrator rights to my account, updated files will be displayed immediately in Everything. Even power-user rights are not sufficient.

Finally, it seems to be only an issue on Win-XP and here version 705b is still good for me.
So, thank you very much for your effort and that wonderful application!