Run/Open multiple Mp3

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Stamimail

Run/Open multiple Mp3

Post by Stamimail »

I selected a lot of mp3 files and pressed Enter.
Everything behaves different from expected. it opens each file on the Player instead of sending all. look at Explorer behaviour.
therube

Re: Run/Open multiple Mp3

Post by therube »

I'm not following?

Are you saying that multiple instances of (what WMP ?) open, playing each song simultaneously?

And just what is "sending all" ? (or do you mean the songs should be queued in a single player [playlist])?

(My player, MPlayer, [the MPUI GUI front-end, actually] allows either single or multiple instances of itself, so depending on the setting I select, I either get one player with only a single song [nothing queued] or multiple players, each with its own individual song, that all then play simultaneously.

In the day, Winamp had a context-menu "Queue to Winamp", type of thing [if I'm recalling correctly].

Don't use WMP, so in my case, opening from Explorer is no different from opening from within Everything.

I regularly use Everything to open multiple movie clips simultaneously [again in MPlayer, & per my settings there] & wouldn't want it any other way.)
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

It will be easier if you just move to a regular computer and see how it is.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

870b
Still behaves different than Explorer.
In Explorer selecting 20 songs and hit Enter, send all songs as one playlist to Windows Media Player.
In Everyhting it seems it trying to play each song seperately.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Everything-1.4.1.905.x64
Everything still doesn't send mp3 files as a list to Windows Media Player.
therube

Post by therube »

When Windows Media Player is your default (mp3) player, when you select mp3 in Windows Explorer (I'm on XP), there appears in the context-menu (top-most) a Play item.

Play queues the mp3 files & sends them to WMP - as a playlist (replacing any that may exist).

If instead of Play, you choose Open With..., the default action while still WMP, only a single file gets sent to WMP.

If WMP is not your default (mp3) player, there is no Play context-menu item, only Open.
Open opens (mp3) in your default (mp3) player.
(Though you still may have, “Play with Windows Media Player”, which also does what "Play" does.)

WMP must add Play.

&Play reads:

Code: Select all

"E:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:6 /Play "%L"
Looking at, wmpshell.dll, it is described as, “Play with Windows Media Player”.

What /prefetch:6 does, I've not figured out.
%L would presumably point to a directory.
So, so, so... so I'm not sure?
Something throws a list of filenames into this /prefetch:6 "directory", which /Play %L then locks at & reads as a playlist? Got me?

In Everything, selecting a single audio: file does show “Play with Windows Media Player”, though once you select multiple audio: files, it no longer does - except in cases where the filetype is registered to WMP, where both Play & “Play with Windows Media Player” appear.

When you click "Enter", Everything must be performing an "Open".
And Open is different from "Play".

If you used the context-menu instead, selecting Play, in your case, WMP should open with your 20 files queued up in WMP as a playlist.

If you changed the action of Open in Everything from $exec("%1") to something like, oh not sure (& I'm not going to try), "E:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:6 /Play "%L", maybe then you can "Open" a set of mp3's & have them play in WMP (but of course that would screw up "Open" for all other operations, filetypes).

Oh, there is also a context-menu item: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP.PlayMedia\shell\play\DropTarget, value of {CE3FB1D1-02AE-4a5f-A6E9-D9F1B4073E6C}, which is "WMP Play As Playlist Launcher".
therube

Post by therube »

In Explorer selecting 20 songs and hit Enter, send all songs as one playlist to Windows Media Player.
In Everything it seems it trying to play each song separately.
OK, I see. Yes, there is a behavioral difference.
(Though not that I would want it changed.)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Currently in Everything, when running the selection, each item is run separately with the default verb.
Whereas Windows Explorer would invoke the default verb for the entire selection.

I've made Everything do this for the next major release.
Setting a custom open command will override this invoke with default verb command.

For clarification, "open" in Everything means run with the default verb.
Everything will specifically state if it will use the "open" verb -eg: open with the open verb.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

void wrote:Currently in Everything, when running the selection, each item is run separately with the default verb.
Whereas Windows Explorer would invoke the default verb for the entire selection.

That's a pity!
I use this to open related files (project/subject) together. Let's say: select Everything.ini and Everything.chm (helpfile) and an <Enter> will open both in their respective programs. That is something that is impossible in File Explorer!
Stamimail wrote:In Explorer selecting 20 songs and hit Enter, send all songs as one playlist to Windows Media Player.
In Everyhting it seems it trying to play each song seperately.
Possible with a little DIY:
- Menu:Tools > Options > Kyboard: File|Custom Verb01=Shift-Enter (Result List)
- Edit Everything.ini: custom_verb01=Open

Now you can select your files and do a Shift-Enter.

Note:
- I have only Windows versions without Windows Media Player, so can't test it. But this how the mechanism should work.
- You might have to replace custom_verb01=Open with custom_verb01=Play or custom_verb01=AddToPlaylist or ..

(
Find out the verbs by:
- Going in regedit to HKCR\.mp3
- read the (default). It will say something like mp3file
- Go to HKR\mp3file\shell
- here are the verbs you can choose from.
)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

void wrote: For clarification, "open" in Everything means run with the default verb.
Everything will specifically state if it will use the "open" verb -eg: open with the open verb.
On my system I have configured that for .msc files the default verb is Runas (HKCU setting). What verb will be used if I <Enter> a .msc file in Everything?
therube

Post by therube »

Whoa, whoa, slow down there 'hos ;-).

Now just what does that mean?
IOW, currently, I select two video files, Open, & both videos open (basically) simultaneously in separate instances of my media play (MPlayer, using the MPUI GUI.).

MPlayer (or is it MPUI) itself determines whether a single or multiple instances of itself are opened.

I want to maintain that ability.

(I'll do that often to compare two version of the same video.)
void
Developer

Post by void »

I've changed this so the same functionality will exist for files that have the open verb or no verb.
eg: this will only change the behavior of files where the default verb is "play".
void
Developer

Post by void »

MPlayer (or is it MPUI) itself determines whether a single or multiple instances of itself are opened.

I want to maintain that ability.
@therube When you right click an mp3 file in Windows Explorer, is play or open the default context menu item?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I've changed this back to how it was originally. Windows doesn't handle opening different file types very well, or when there is more than 15 items selected.

If you want to use the same open method as Windows Explorer:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
    Click the Keyboard tab on the left.
  • To the right of show commands containing, type in the following:
    open
  • Select File | Open With Default Verb
  • Click Add....
  • Press ENTER
  • Click OK.
  • Click OK.
Alternatively, right click the file selection and click the desired context menu item, eg: Play.
therube

Post by therube »

When you right click an mp3 file in Windows Explorer, is play or open the default context menu item?
Open.
And so I gather I would be unaffected in any case :-).