CAnnot set Window HotKeys

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Ron007

CAnnot set Window HotKeys

Post by Ron007 »

Both in the current release 1.3.4.686 ... and current 1.4.0.713B I cannot set ANY of the application hotkeys

Tools > Options > Keyboard ... I can put the cursor inside the input box, but (I just found) it only shows a single alphanumeric character. On a much older version I used <ALT><ESC> to lauch the window. I want that back! I have invested a lot of time building the muscle memory for that shortcut combo.

(I would continue to use that old version, except that when it runs it blocks the Win task changer, <ALT><TAB>

Since this field only accepts a single key, I am guessing it is modified with one of the control keys. !!!!!WHICH ONE!!!!!! Add a comment to explain that. I could not find it anywhere in the help.

!!OOPS!! :evil: I put in a single key, ie the letter "e" and oops, vry tim I hit an "e" it was intrcptd and launchd th sarch window. In other words, you s what typing would look lik without the lttr "e". :lol:

Totally unacceptable, There is no single key that I would sacrifice to launch the app!

PS: What is the advantage of running Everything as a service? Another thing I did not find in the help ... :?

PS: I have been using an older version for several years now and recommend it to people several times a week.
therube

Re: CAnnot set Window HotKeys

Post by therube »

> <ALT><ESC>

What OS?
And has the OS changed for you?

Could be that sequence is reserved by the OS?
(Seem to recall some OS > Win7 that did that with some shortcuts.)

> old version, except that when it runs it blocks the Win task changer, <ALT><TAB>

I ALT+TAB all the time, including just now to reply to this message, & can't say I've ever seen Everything take over that combo. (Maybe you have it set in Everything & so is taking over - on your end?)

> In other words, you s what typing would look lik without the lttr "e". :lol:

Heh.

> What is the advantage of running Everything as a service?

No UAC prompt.
(More importantly) Everything runs with user level privileges.
schnesim

Post by schnesim »

Hi,

I'm running the latest version of Everything under Windows 10 x64 as a service and the problem with the hotkeys getting forgotten remains.

If I set a hotkey for e.g. "New window" it works as long as Everything isn't shut down. If I quit and restart it -> hotkey is gone, if I restart the machine -> hotkey is gone

Please do something about it, I love Everything but not having a working hotkey makes it barely usable for me.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I'm running the latest version of Everything under Windows 10 x64 as a service and the problem with the hotkeys getting forgotten remains.
Is "Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything" checked in Tools -> Options -> General?
schnesim

Post by schnesim »

void wrote: Is "Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything" checked in Tools -> Options -> General?
No, it wasn't and apparently did the trick. Thanks :)

Strange, I'm pretty sure the option was set during install...