Full Path tooltip doesn't show up

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
zamar26

Full Path tooltip doesn't show up

Post by zamar26 »

When Everything 1.4 portable or install is used for the 1st time, it shows full path on mouseover of each search result. However, if show_mouseover switch in Everything.ini is manually changed from 1 to 0, it no longer shows the full path on mouseover, even if you subsequently change that switch back from 0 to 1. This bug occurs in all subsequent Everything packages, so there is no way to show full path on mouseover anymore no matter what package version or type you use.

On a separate note, even when full path is shown, it blinks thus making it impossible to read. There is no switch to stop its blinking, only switch to stop showing the path. Pls add show_mouseover option 2 stopping full path blinking.

Alternatively, pls inform what Registry settings I can change to revert back to showing full path on mouseover?
Last edited by zamar26 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
salazor

Re: show_mouseover switch doesn't work

Post by salazor »

Power Off Everything also in the tray manually change the .ini show_mouseover=1 save the changes and turn on Everything - before the moment I checked and it works

Everything 1.4.0.713b (x86)
zamar26

Post by zamar26 »

I just doublechecked. Changing this setting will switch on/off highlighting of a row in search results (its called Show row mouseover in Options), but setting it to 1 doesn't result in showing full path in a popup as it was originally showing when I just started using Everything. I switched off Antivirus just to make sure it doesn't block popups, and nothing changed. Possibly, some other Registry switch was affected when I changed this settings the 1st time to 0. Popups work OK in other programs. I noticed that tooltips don't show up in Everything whether switched on or off in Options-View. May be this is related? Tried to Reset, no effect. Using the last released Everything 1.3 version (not beta) still no change compare to v1.4 64-bit.
salazor

Post by salazor »

Download 1.4 portable - run, make sure the work is what you want, then set the options according to their preferences - close Everything and using the file comparison or this page, check both ini and find the difference.
zamar26

Post by zamar26 »

As I said, when that option show_mouseover was change very 1st time in a portable 1.3 version, it changed something in Registry. Since then no matter what version and options I try to use or change, Everything just doesn't show the tooltip popup with full path. Period..... Any ideas about particular registry setting?
salazor

Re: Full Path tooltip doesn't show up

Post by salazor »

Everything portable nothing writes in the registry - all settings has in .ini

Check whether other programs also does not show the full path - if not the fault of Windows.
zamar26

Post by zamar26 »

salazor wrote:Everything portable nothing writes in the registry - all settings has in .ini
Not necessarily, seldom happen. Many portable programs write something in Registry and system folders, while most people assume they don't.

I just checked FileSeek as a similar search program, and it shows full path in a mouseover tooltip popup in search results. And it doesn't blink either. So obviously its not Windows fault, as I said earlier OS shows tooltips in all programs I checked. I like Everything, its blazing fast, but without showing lengthy full paths its crappy.
salazor

Post by salazor »

So do as I wrote 4 posts above here.

OR

Download 1.4 portable - save in another folder, copy the files Everything.db, Search History.csv, Filters.csv and it will work.
therube

Post by therube »

show_mouseover switch doesn't work
Best I can tell, that is correct.
1.4.0.713b

I assumed, though don't know, that show_mouseover would be the pref needed, & that changing it would have an effect on the display, but from what I can see it does not.

So, should something be happening? A bug? Or maybe the prefs are only placemarkers at this point in time, with the code not actually implemented?

(Note that there are other mouseover prefs, in addition to tooltips prefs.)

@salazor, did you actually change the pref & get a behavior change?

(When I made the change to the .ini, I Quit Everything first, but I did not end the service.)
therube

Post by therube »

settings I can change to revert back to showing full path on mouseover?
I have not been able to get the mouseover display to turn off.
therube

Post by therube »

inform what Registry settings I can change
AFAIK, Everything only very minimally touches the Windows Registry.

If you enable:

Everything Service
--> HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Everything
Everything URL protocol
--> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Everything
Folder context menus
--> HKCR\Everything
--> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Everything

Changes are made to the Registry.
Otherwise, settings are in Everything.ini.

If you use the installer (I don't), then I suppose there would be something for that.
salazor

Post by salazor »

therube wrote:
@salazor, did you actually change the pref & get a behavior change?
Yes, but it has nothing to do with Full Path tooltip, it is only a gray line in the list of results on / off
therube

Post by therube »

zamar26 wrote:I use 4K display at its native 4K resolution
Wonder if that might have some odd effect on what you're seeing?
(Or some related odd settings that the laptop might have/use.)
zamar26

Post by zamar26 »

I was thinking that 4K display may affect tooltip blinking, until I checked the same feature with FileSearch, and it didn't. Its very stable showing all the time with FileSeek on mouseover.

But display wouldn't affect switching off the tooltip completely. Based on our exchange, Options-View-Show Tooltip has a bug in v1.3 release. And this bug affects subsequent releases - for me switching that option On in Win 10 64bit doesn't result in showing the tooltip, and you mentioned that switching it Off doesn't hide the tooltip on mouseover. So the code deficiency may be Win version dependent. It might not write anything to Registry, but instead just don't stably produce expected switch despite writing changed setting to the .ini file. I was trying to change it in the .ini after exiting the program and service, and still no joy.
JTB3

Post by JTB3 »

Hi,
I'm writing to verify that the 'Full Path' tooltip is NOT working in Everything-1.4.0.713b.x64 (Beta) version. When I reinstall/revert back to the current stable version 1.3.4.686 all tooltips then works fine. I've verified this same behavior on both 64-bit Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 - on two separate machines.

I fully concur that working 'tool tips' are essential - especially while hovering over any overflowed field. This is a very important usability/productivity feature that one takes for granted often - until they notice it's missing! :)

Really hoping that David (the dev) can get to this in his next 'beta' release... Great work thus far on the new features!
-JT
void
Developer

Post by void »