[Solved] Scandinavian character issue in v1.4.0.713b (x64)

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
eson

[Solved] Scandinavian character issue in v1.4.0.713b (x64)

Post by eson »

Hi,

I'm currently working on latest update for Swedish translation and found an unexpected error when testing. As you can see in my screenshot, Everything sometimes doesn't recognize the Scandinavian character "ö".

eson

Edit:
It's actually the same issue with the other Scandinavian characters "å" and "ä".
2016-01-23_163321.png
2016-01-23_163321.png (56.55 KiB) Viewed 4531 times
Last edited by eson on Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
gdv

Re: Scandinavian character issue in v1.4.0.713b (x64)

Post by gdv »

I haven't worked with this, but have you tried menu Search > Match Diacritics (or Ctrl+M)?

In your screen-shot, it appears that Match Diacritics is currently deselected (i.e., it doesn't appear on the Status Bar in lower right corner).
eson

Re: Scandinavian character issue in v1.4.0.713b (x64)

Post by eson »

Thanks! That did the trick! Well, I don't think I've changed my settings the last 7 years, and it always worked, so maybe that can explain why I didn't think of this myself.
gdv

Re: [Solved] Scandinavian character issue in v1.4.0.713b (x6

Post by gdv »

Good! Glad to know it worked! :)

I don't know if it's relevant to your encountering the problem in v1.4.0.713b, but AFAICT the diacritical matching option first became available in v1.3.4.686 (Aug 6, 2014), and I don't recall how diacritics were handled before that.

If diacritical matching had been working for you previously, was this maybe a new installation with a default match_diacritics=0 in Everything.ini?
eson

Post by eson »

I've always used the portable version and update by overwriting the old files. As far as I know, the ini file doesn't get overwritten when decompressing the zip file to a custom directory, so there must have been something else that didn't work as expected.
Anyway, I'll just have to check my settings more careful in the coming updates. Thanks for your help.
gdv

Post by gdv »

eson wrote:I've always used the portable version and update by overwriting the old files. As far as I know, the ini file doesn't get overwritten when decompressing the zip file to a custom directory, so there must have been something else that didn't work as expected.
Yes, I always use the portable version as well. The portable zip file usually only contains Everything.exe and License.txt, so you're correct that it won't overwrite any existing Everything.ini, Search History.csv, Run History.csv, Errorlog.txt, etc.

But if you happen to unzip Everything.exe to a new folder where none of those files already exist, it will simply create a new Everything.ini with the default settings.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out.