right-click behavior

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
mgr498551

right-click behavior

Post by mgr498551 »

I discovered Everything a few weeks ago and I'm already hooked. I use it all the time. What I especially like is that you don't have to find something with the search program, and then switch back to Windows Explorer to look it up there and do whatever you want to do. You can do almost everything from within Everything. I say almost because that's what this post is about. I'm not sure if it's a genuine bug or more like a feature request but I decided to post it here.

Best to explain it with an example.

I created a little batch file showattr.bat that contains
echo file 1 : %1
echo file 2 : %2
pause

It is meant to be called as i.e. "showattr a b", and then it displays
file 1 : a
file 2 : b

I've placed a shortcut to this BAT on the desktop and also in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\myusername\SendTo, so that you can right-click some files, select Sent To, and then "showattr".

in c:\temp
in have created a file myTestFile1.txt

in c:\temp\subdir
in have created a file myTestFile2.txt

First I do a search for myTestFile* with the Windows Explorer Search. I select the two files and drag them onto the Desktop shortcut. Next, I right-click the selected files, Send To, showattr.

In both cases, the result is as expected:
c:\temp\myTestFile1.txt
c:\temp\subdir\myTestFile2.txt

Next, I do a search for myTestFile* with Everything. The two file are found and I select them. If I drag them onto the Desktop shortcut, the result is as above, as expected.

However, when I right-click, Send To, showattr, the result is:
c:\temp\myTestFile1.txt
c:\temp\myTestFile2.txt
or
c:\temp\subdir\myTestFile1.txt
c:\temp\subdir\myTestFile2.txt

depending on which of the two files the cursor was pointing at when doing the right-click.

Obviously I'm not worried about getting my showattr.bat program to work. I've just used it as an illustration. But I think that several shell extensions (the items in the right-click menu) are not working properly because of this.
* my shell extension to calculate a MD5 hash crashes Everything
* my Beyond Compare shell extension does not let me select two files at the time, only one at the time. In other cases I have seen that the option is available, but it results into comparing file x with itself.
* 7-zip does not appear in the right-click menu. From windows Explorer Search I can select two files (even if in different folders) and right-click, 7-zip, add to file.zip
* if I right-click and select Scan for viruses, only one file is scanned.

The program would be even more useful if the right-click behavior would we the same as in Windows Explorer.

(Windows XP prof sp3, Everything 1.2.1.371)
therube

Re: right-click behavior

Post by therube »

mgr498551

Re: right-click behavior

Post by mgr498551 »

Yes, thanks therube, the same problem is described in that post. I regret to see that that post is a year old and this has not been fixed yet. Wouldn't anybody else like to see a properly implemented right-click behavior in Everything?