unable to open volume \\.\C:

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
lalison

unable to open volume \\.\C:

Post by lalison »

Helo,

sometimes I have the following error: "unable to open volume \\.\C:" That is also for other volumes.

That is with the account user, but not always.

Thank for help.
Attachments
3092010_215330.jpg
3092010_215330.jpg (37.91 KiB) Viewed 5626 times
therube

Re: unable to open volume \\.\C:

Post by therube »

void
Developer

Post by void »

Please make sure you run "Everything" with administrative privileges.

"Everything" requires administrative privileges for low level read access to volumes.
EWAdams

Post by EWAdams »

I'm having the same problem. (I'm running Windows 7 64-bit) I followed the instructions about running Everything using administrative privileges with the Task Scheduler. I was careful to check the "Highest Privileges" box. It runs on startup in the Administrator account. When I'm logged in to the Administrator account, everything is fine, but when I'm logged into my user account, the volumes are unchecked (even though they were checked when logged in as administrator), and when I try to check them, I get the "unable to open volume" message referred to by the original poster.

Any thoughts?
EWAdams

Postscript

Post by EWAdams »

It occurs to me to wonder -- are the options stored on a per-user basis? I thought they were all in the Everything.ini file in the install directory, but when I switch between users, the Administrator user shows the volumes all checked perfectly well, but my non-admin shows them unchecked.