Remember ETP Settings

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
mhapsoto

Remember ETP Settings

Post by mhapsoto »

I'm working with the Everything search engine in a client/server scenario, and I've almost got it working perfectly for what we need. Thanks for the great program!

One detail I'd like to address is the ability to remember ETP connection settings, either via a custom .ini or command-line switches.

My workstation users rely heavily on files off the server. Currently, Everything is set on the server to only scan the SUBST drives that my users need.

Whenever the Everything window is closed, it "forgets" the connection to the ETP server. In other words, each user has to bring up an Everything window, reconnect to the ETP server using the menu, and then start using the search service.

Is there a way to bring up an Everything search window that is already pre-connected to the ETP server? That would really help my users.

Thanks,

~Michael
void
Developer

Re: Remember ETP Settings

Post by void »

Please try the latest alpha version and make a shortcut with the following command line option:

Code: Select all

Everything.exe -connect username:password@host:port
Or please try the un-official release http://www.voidtools.com/Everything-1.2.1.452a.zip and add the following line to the end of your Everything.ini file:

auto_connect=username:password@host:port
mhapsoto

Post by mhapsoto »

Void, thanks so much for your responses. It's great to hear from the expert!

I tried the auto-connect using the .452a version of the client, (both via command-line and via .ini file modification) and both methods crash the Everything client. I'll do some more testing. Is there any information I can obtain that would be useful for testing?

The command-line way is confirmed as working on the .451a version of the client.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I am aware of the instability of the ETP client with 451a and have fixed the issue for the next release of "Everything"..
randfee

Post by randfee »

appending

auto_connect=username:password@host:port
doesn't work for me. The line is deleted immediately when everything is started.
However, loading everything.exe with the extensions works, kind of. The connection works, the searches work, but the link type is not specifies and the default is not working for me. I'd need C: as link-type.
Still, having the info in the ini would be the ideal solution. Does this not work with the current version (1.4.1.895.x64) anymore?

regards
randfee
void
Developer

Post by void »

auto_connect has been replaced with the "Home index", to change your home index:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
    Click the Home tab on the left.
    Change Index to: ETP server.
    Change ETP server to: username:password@host:port.
    Select the desired Link type.
    Click OK.
randfee

Post by randfee »

ok, thanks.
But in this case, one can not use an ETP server while still adding other folders to be scanned as well (not rtfs), correct? That would be quite limiting since I wanted to give all clients access to the common file-pool on the server while giving them the option to also scan other folders like their home drive, which only they can access.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Correct, currently you can not index an ETP server.

I hope to add this in a future version of Everything.