Help recovering files after chksk?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
TheLostOne

Help recovering files after chksk?

Post by TheLostOne »

Hello!

When I just started my machine Windows told me it needs to perform a chkdsk on a drive.
I let it go on and realized that it corrected several indexes. I already had a bad feeling.
After boot up I opened Everything and searched for some files I remembered were mentioned in the chkdsk log.
Everything still shows them but they aren't on the disk anymore. So apparently chksdsk deleted them.

Since Everything sill shows the deleted files, is there a way to only show the deleted files? This way I can at least know which files have been deleted.

Thanks in advance,
best regards
therube

Re: Help recovering files after chksk?

Post by therube »

I believe you'll find CHKDSK result information (hidden away) in Event Viewer.

Start | Run | EVENTVWR.MSC

Otherwise there is a "non-update" version of Everything .389b (do a search here) that you can give a shot.
Backup both .db's first.
TheLostOne

Post by TheLostOne »

Thanks for your answer!
I found another blog post about chkdsk results:
Where to find CHKDSK results in Vista, Windows 7
Unfortunately the chkdsk log in event viewer doesn't show any filenames anymore, only the index numbers.

I got another idea though.
Everything still list all the deleted files but without information on size, date,...
So I let it sort all files by "Date Modified". It took some time but eventually I had all files/folders without any information at the top (except some exceptions which showed showed the "Date Modified" column).
I then exported (File->Export) all results and manually deleted all results with provided information and now I have a .txt file with only the deleted files.
The file consists of 121721 lines. So that's the number of files/folders chkdsk deleted. Most of the files are Matlab scripts though.
TheLostOne

Post by TheLostOne »

I just found out that chkdsk created a hidden folder found.000 and copied all the missing files there.
And I was wondering why recovering tools didn't find anything.

It's weird that Everything 442a didn't update the database until I deleted it.
Now I'm using build 389b with an old database and 442a with a new one and try to restore the old structure with the files in the folder found.000.

Everything is again a big life saver!
TheLostOne

Post by TheLostOne »

Okay, unfortunately not all files were in the found.000 folder. Luckily the most important ones.

Everything still shows some deleted files and folders even after I delete the database.
Edit: My fault. Somehow I don't have the rights to open the specific folder and Everything is still correctly showing the files within the folder.