Losing network folders index

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Vermout

Losing network folders index

Post by Vermout »

Hi!

I'm experiencing this problem with a NAS. I need to preserve the index of my network folders when the NAS is off. However, after some time, all the network indexations is missed.

I start from zero doing a manual Rescan of all these folders with "Rescan Now". Then I check all files are indexed.
However, after some time all is missed, and I can only see the local files. I believe this happens when the NAS is off, although not in an automatic way

My NTFS network folders are specified with format "K:\, L:\,...."

Inside Option -> Indexes -> Folders I have this configuration for every network folder of my NAS :

[ ]Attempt to monitor changes
[ ]Rescan on all buffers
[ ]Rescan: Every....
[x]Never rescan

I miss something?

I have experienced this issue quite times. It forces me to do a new general indexation again and again.

Any help would be appreciated!
void
Developer

Re: Losing network folders index

Post by void »

Sorry to hear Everything is losing your NAS indexes.

What version of Everything are you using?

Please make sure you are using 1.4.1.932 or later.
Earlier versions are known to force-rebuild when they encounter a database issue.
This would result in losing your NAS indexes.

Everything 1.4.1.932 or later will not do this silent rebuild and will instead give a fatal error.

Where are you saving your Everything.db? the default location is %LOCALAPPDATA%\Everything
and can be changed in Tools -> Options -> Indexes -> Database location.
Do you have any software which might be deleting this file or preventing Everything from reading from or writing to this file or location?

If the issue occurs again could you please:
  • Immediately terminate Everything:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
  • Close the newly opened debug console. -This will terminate Everything.
  • Open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
  • Navigate to your Everything installation folder (cd C:\Program Files\Everything)
  • Launch Everything in debug mode with the following command:
    Everything.exe -debug
  • What is shown in the debug console after Everything has started to performed a reindex.
  • Could you please send a copy of the debug console output to support@voidtools.com
Vermout

Post by Vermout »

Hi, thanks for your feedback

I had version 1.4.1.877 (x64). Now I have updated according your guide.

I have Everything.db in the same folder of Everything program installation.

I will check this new version in following days. If the issue persist I will follow the next steps.

lot of thanks! :)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Vermout wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:49 pm I have Everything.db in the same folder of Everything program installation.
If the new version didn't fix it, thisis the first thing I would look at:
void wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:43 am Do you have any software which might be deleting this file or preventing Everything from reading from or writing to this file or location?
You might have saved your Everything.db in a location where you don't have write access.
void
Developer

Post by void »

This is normal for the portable version.
Please make sure you run the portable version as administrator or
please make sure Everything.exe has write access to the folder with your Everything.exe or
please try enabling store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything from Tools -> Options -> General.

If you are losing your NAS indexes after every reboot I would suspect there might be an issue with Everything saving its database to disk.
If you are only losing your NAS indexes sometimes after every reboot, the issue is most likely elsewhere.
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

is there any chance to see it work with Synology and other NAS natively like it does with NTFS/ReFS... I guess it will be required to install a package or something that has root access, but I am sure that we can put pressure on NAS manufacturers to allow it at least I hope.
Vermout

Post by Vermout »

void wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:01 am
This is normal for the portable version.
Please make sure you run the portable version as administrator or
please make sure Everything.exe has write access to the folder with your Everything.exe or
please try enabling store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything from Tools -> Options -> General.

If you are losing your NAS indexes after every reboot I would suspect there might be an issue with Everything saving its database to disk.
If you are only losing your NAS indexes sometimes after every reboot, the issue is most likely elsewhere.
yes, I have these options activated.
With the version upgrade, and after these days working, now the indexes seems to be preserved. I think all works right :)

I know this is not the Suggestions subforum, although related with this problem, I wonder if it could be interesting some checkbox with "Ask for confirmation" available for every folder, inside "Options -> Indexes -> Folders".
It can be useful for big disks with little activity. Well , maybe this is only psychological but asking for confirmation in some folders can give a feeling of security after the scheduled indexations.

Your software is really useful, many thanks for this creation!
Vermout

Post by Vermout »

I refloat this thread again because still I'm losing the network folders indexed db.

I have 6 network folders, each one connected to a different HD in a NAS.
This time happened when Windows experienced a failure to re-connect the network folders. All the Everything network files were vanished in a second, near 8 TB.

Inside the Everything config I have these options for each folder: never monitor, never update.
However, all was lost. After reconnecting the network folders using the same labels (M:, N: O:....), all the files were missed.

I believe there is necessity of some option to prevent this can happens. It seems as soon Everything detects no network folder is available, the DB contents belonging to these folders is discarded forever.

Please some help with this. After some years still it happens.

I suspect if the general option to monitor recent changes can affect to the detection of network folders, and then when the network folders dissapear, all is discarded. I'm not sure but it seems as if the network folders were managed by Everything just like common folders. Although logically the network folders can connect to HD's and this would deserve another procedure. I'm not sure although some improvement would be needed in this issue.

Everything v 1.4.1.1005 (x64)

thanks!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything should keep your folder indexes.
Even when they are offline.

It is possible the Everything.db is corrupt or unavailable.

Could you please send some debug output:
  • Terminate Everything:
    • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    • /debug
    • Close the newly opened debug console. -This will terminate Everything.
  • Open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
  • Navigate to your Everything installation folder (cd C:\Program Files\Everything)
  • Launch Everything in debug mode with the following command:
  • Everything.exe -debug-log
    ---wait for Everything to reindex---
  • Type in the following search and press ENTER:
  • /restart
  • Could you please send your %TEMP%\Everything Debug Log.txt to support@voidtools.com
Vermout

Post by Vermout »

Thanks for this guide, I didn't know this.
Re-indexing is a very long time. I preserve your debug guide. If there are no more users with this problem then maybe there is something wrong in my side, although I don't know what is.

Anyway I will wait for the next failure to apply this guide and I will send you the logs.

thank you