Searching for multiple exact words

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Post Reply
JTCGiants56
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:58 pm

Searching for multiple exact words

Post by JTCGiants56 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:21 am

I'm trying to search for those exact words below, ie just folders named "img" or "photos" and not "imgur" or "photosphere".

Below is what I have. I tried using "len:3" or similar in front of the words but it seems to only work for one at a time.

Code: Select all

h: large|digis|img|hireswatermarked|photos 
Thank you

froggie
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:43 pm

Re: Searching for multiple exact words

Post by froggie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:18 am

If your folder names are just one word (no spaces, dashes, etc), as your examples are, then turning on
Search>Match Whole Word ]
would do it

JTCGiants56
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:58 pm

Re: Searching for multiple exact words

Post by JTCGiants56 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:48 am

froggie wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:18 am
If your folder names are just one word (no spaces, dashes, etc), as your examples are, then turning on
Search>Match Whole Word ]
would do it
Unfortunately that does not do it for me. It's still picking up folders with other things in the name. Ie a folder named "My photos" when it should only be finding "photos".

tuska
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:14 am

Re: Searching for multiple exact words

Post by tuska » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:17 am

Code: Select all

h: folder:wfn:<large|digis|img|hireswatermarked|photos>
?

wfn:
Search Syntax - Everything: ... Operators: < > Grouping

JTCGiants56
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:58 pm

Re: Searching for multiple exact words

Post by JTCGiants56 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:37 am

tuska wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:17 am

Code: Select all

h: folder:wfn:<large|digis|img|hireswatermarked|photos>
?

wfn:
Search Syntax - Everything: ... Operators: < > Grouping
Looks like that did the trick. Thank you.

JTCGiants56
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:58 pm

Re: Searching for multiple exact words

Post by JTCGiants56 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:59 am

Not sure if I should open up a new thread but I have one more question if anyone can assist. Whenever I select files and copy them from the everything window and paste them somewhere else. It "locks" up everything until the copy is complete. I'm unable to click anywhere in everything until it's done. I'm not able to right click everything and open another instance either. Is there anyway around this?

tuska
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:14 am

Re: Searching for multiple exact words

Post by tuska » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:18 am

JTCGiants56 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:59 am
I'm unable to click anywhere in everything until it's done. I'm not able to right click everything and open another instance either.
Is there anyway around this?
You could open another search window of "Everything" before your copy action.
Even if you see the filtered files/folders in the first instance, you can still open another "Everything" instance (with Ctrl+N).
In the second instance, a search should be possible without problems.

Tools - Options...
- UI - ☑ Create a new window when running Everything
- Keyboard - File | New Search Window -> Ctrl+N (Global)

JTCGiants56
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:58 pm

Re: Searching for multiple exact words

Post by JTCGiants56 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:13 pm

tuska wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:18 am
JTCGiants56 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:59 am
I'm unable to click anywhere in everything until it's done. I'm not able to right click everything and open another instance either.
Is there anyway around this?
You could open another search window of "Everything" before your copy action.
Even if you see the filtered files/folders in the first instance, you can still open another "Everything" instance (with Ctrl+N).
In the second instance, a search should be possible without problems.

Tools - Options...
- UI - ☑ Create a new window when running Everything
- Keyboard - File | New Search Window -> Ctrl+N (Global)
Thank you. This should help when copying files.

JTCGiants56
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:58 pm

Re: Searching for multiple exact words

Post by JTCGiants56 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:19 am

tuska wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:18 am
JTCGiants56 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:59 am
I'm unable to click anywhere in everything until it's done. I'm not able to right click everything and open another instance either.
Is there anyway around this?
You could open another search window of "Everything" before your copy action.
Even if you see the filtered files/folders in the first instance, you can still open another "Everything" instance (with Ctrl+N).
In the second instance, a search should be possible without problems.

Tools - Options...
- UI - ☑ Create a new window when running Everything
- Keyboard - File | New Search Window -> Ctrl+N (Global)
I can't recall the exact scenario when everything gets "frozen" but it doesn't look like it's having that issue when copying files now. It did when I was deleting a large amount of files. When it was deleting I was able to open a new instance but the new instance was unresponsive until the delete finished.

Post Reply