Problem with updating remote folder

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
amorpheus

Problem with updating remote folder

Post by amorpheus »

So I've moved most of my storage to another computer, and have the problem that Everything doesn't seem to update the network shares if they're offline when it starts. Is there some interval where it will re-try which I've missed? It's stuff that doesn't change too often, so I don't want to scan it more than 1-2 times a day, but if my timing is unlucky that could go on forever without hitting the update window.

Right now I'm helping myself with a desktop shortcut that has the -reindex command line option, but that seems like a very brute force approach. Would be nice if I could specifically re-index the network share.
void
Developer

Re: Problem with updating remote folder

Post by void »

If a scheduled folder update is missed, Everything will attempt to update the folder as soon as you run Everything.
If the folder is not available, Everything will wait for the next scheduled folder update.

So it is possible, that if the folder is offline when you start Everything, and Everything is not running when the folder update is scheduled, the folder will never be updated.

A good solution would be to add a background thread to Everything to monitor if folder indexes are online/offline and only attempt update when the folder is online... I've added this to my TODO list.

For now, you can force Everything to reindex a folder index by typing in the following search and pressing ENTER:
/reindex D:

where D: is your indexed folder.
amorpheus

Post by amorpheus »

Thanks for the infos!
void wrote:If a scheduled folder update is missed, Everything will attempt to update the folder as soon as you run Everything.
As in starting the program/service fresh, or simply opening a window? I have it running in the background from start-up. If Everything tries to catch up on missed updates every time I pop open a window it solves this issue pretty smoothly. (Keep checking for missed folders as it's used, and stop once it succeeds. User may not even notice the missed update.)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Yes, starting the Everything Search client (not the service)