View, GoTo, Show All History columns superwide or missing, sometimes there: UNSTABLE

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
stevenroussos

View, GoTo, Show All History columns superwide or missing, sometimes there: UNSTABLE

Post by stevenroussos »

I am using Version 1.4.1.895 (x86) even though I have a 64 bit system because I found some things like all search windows not showing up in Task Manager/Processes/Apps seemed unstable or not working in the 64 bit window (A usefull way to see all open searches sorted in Task Manager by alphabetical order of the search terms.

ISSUE: The Show All History window seems to be unstable.

Sometimes the columns are reasonable width, and all available columns (Search, Date, etc) appear in the column control bar.

Other times the Search column is like 300 pages wide and no matter how carefull I scroll horizontally, there is no Date column to select at all. Still other times the Date column is there but offset many many horiontal widths to the right, making it very hard to access. And then, you cannot grab the boundary and slide it Left more then 1 width at a time.

It seems to come up in one of these states totally at random.

1. IS THERE SOME COMMAND TO MAKE THE COLUMNS IN "SHOW ALL HISTORY" all appear and all have a "Default" width?

2. A "RESTORE DEFAULTS" button is badly needed, please add one next release.

THANK YOU!
tuska

Re: View, GoTo, Show All History columns superwide or missing, sometimes there: UNSTABLE

Post by tuska »

This might be of interest to you:
viewtopic.php?p=23186#p23186
stevenroussos

Re: View, GoTo, Show All History columns superwide or missing, sometimes there: UNSTABLE

Post by stevenroussos »

Thanks, but....
I followed the instructions exactly to download and install that latest nightly build that supposedly fixed the issue...

NO LUCK. When I bring up SEARCH HISTORY it still has the superwide columns and missing column titles where you can normally slide them around.

Oerhaps a RESET function is needed??

You can see an example here https://www.dropbox.com/s/wus7zp5zt1yiq ... s.JPG?dl=0

NOTE: how far to the right the horizontal slider at the bottom is, it is like 50-75 page widths to the right.

NOTE tyhe vertical scroll bar is all the way at the top, but the column headers AND the vertical separator bars you can usually grab and drag are completely absent.

I am definitely running Version 1.4.1.917 (x86): https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvc9bhshiynk7 ... n.JPG?dl=0
Attachments
everything history bad columns no header showing column titles.JPG
everything history bad columns no header showing column titles.JPG (104.8 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
tuska

Post by tuska »

Did you take that hint?
... Delete these entries from Everything.ini (when Everything is not running): ...

Currently I have the following settings (only example!) in my Everything.ini:
(Monitor 24", native resolution: 1920 x 1280 pixels | WIN+I > System Display > Advanced Scaling Settings: Scaling size 125%)

Code: Select all

Line 350: search_history_x=581
Line 351: search_history_y=318
Line 352: search_history_wide=758
Line 353: search_history_high=527
Line 354: search_history_column_search_wide=0
Line 355: search_history_column_search_order=0
Line 356: search_history_column_count_wide=0
Line 357: search_history_column_count_order=1
Line 358: search_history_column_date_wide=0
Line 359: search_history_column_date_order=2
Windows 10 Pro (x64) Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.55)
Everything - Version 1.4.1.917 (x64)
---
PS: I wonder how you get a Copyright © 2018 for version 1.4.1.917 (x86) (according to your picture).
I have downloaded this version for test purposes - Copyright © 2017 appears on my screen?
EDIT:
Continuation to the topic "Copyright" here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7117
Last edited by tuska on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevenroussos

Post by stevenroussos »

I will try that. I have no idea why the copyright is different from me than you. I just downloaded it and used it. No idea what is going on.
stevenroussos

Post by stevenroussos »

That hint repaired the Search History columns, thank you!!!
void
Developer

Post by void »

To reset your column widths:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /search_history_column_search_wide=100
  • Type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /search_history_column_count_wide=100
  • Type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /search_history_column_date_wide=100
Column headers have a total width limit of 32767 pixels.
The question now is, how did the column widths get soo large? -Are you able to reproduce this?!?
PS: I wonder how you get a Copyright © 2018 for version 1.4.1.917 (x86) (according to your picture).
I have downloaded this version for test purposes - Copyright © 2017 appears on my screen?
The US version of Everything uses 2018, other languages may have an older date.
stevenroussos

Post by stevenroussos »

Not sure if I can reproduce. It seems to happen at random. It is fine for awhile. Then goes cattywompus without warning. Then reverts back, maybe after rebooting if I am luck but not always. Or maybe some other usage of Everything makes it revert, I am really not sure. I don't use the Show History function after every search or operation in an active search window so it''s pretty hard to tell when it happens.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

It was fixed in Everything 1.4.1.917.
Do you still see this bhaviour since updating to that (or a newer) version?
tuska

Post by tuska »

void wrote:
The US version of Everything uses 2018, other languages may have an older date.
The German language file has now been updated and minimal corrections were made.
See: Download Everything Language Pack

Thanks to german translator Mr Michael B.!