New elevation behavior in Win10 18252?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
rseiler

New elevation behavior in Win10 18252?

Post by rseiler »

This is obviously not a big deal, since builds in that branch of Windows won't be out for a half year, but I thought I'd mention something that's puzzled me since installing it today.

I have Everything 1.4 (895) (also tested with latest 1.41) configured for "Run as Administrator" and "Everything Service" so that when I run Everything there is no UAC prompt. I've had it this way for years.

What's new in 18252 is that this no longer works to avoid the UAC prompt, at least here. Everything's service is "Running," and I've even restarted it.

Am I misremembering something about how this works?
NotNull

Re: New elevation behavior in Win10 18252?

Post by NotNull »

rseiler wrote:This is obviously not a big deal, since builds in that branch of Windows won't be out for a half year, but I thought I'd mention something that's puzzled me since installing it today.

I have Everything 1.4 (895) (also tested with latest 1.41) configured for "Run as Administrator" and "Everything Service" so that when I run Everything there is no UAC prompt. I've had it this way for years.

What's new in 18252 is that this no longer works to avoid the UAC prompt, at least here. Everything's service is "Running," and I've even restarted it.

Am I misremembering something about how this works?
Don't know, but Win10 1803 (current mainstream version) behaves exactly the same like you described and that is (/was?) how the UAC design *should* work.
I guess you had the "Run as Administrator" option disabled (Everything works perfectly fine that way as long as you enable the Everything Service)

BTW: there are ways to bypass UAC, but if you did that, I think you would remember :).
(Everything could also be programmed to "auto-elevate", but all the versions I checked don't use that)
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

I always had "Run as Administrator" checked, but I must have implemented one of the UAC workarounds a long time ago, and it must have come undone with the upgrade. I'll backtrack to see about that.

It's been so long, that I thought the purpose of the service was to avoid the UAC prompt, but it's not, exactly. I see now that it's meant as an alternative to running as admin for those indexing NTFS (which I am). I think the reason I wanted admin was so that Everything would be able to find everything.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Everything gets it's information from parts of the filesystem that are only accessible when elevated. Running as administrator is one way; running the ("elevated") service another way. With the second option (the service), Everything uses the service to access these parts. You will see the same files as you would when running as administrator (*).

(this is for other people reading this; I think you already figured out how it works ..)

(*) Deleting those files is a different story (luckily!)
rseiler

Post by rseiler »

Thanks for pointing that out. I must not have understood that before though, since I did have "Run as administrator" checked, and I wouldn't have had that (and bothered to deal working around the related UAC prompt) had I known that using the service (also checked) was just as effective. I normally don't have the need to run anything found in Everything as admin (a byproduct of running Everything as admin).