Everything 1.4.1.895.x64 stops Windows Explorer in Windows 10

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Vilu

Everything 1.4.1.895.x64 stops Windows Explorer in Windows 10

Post by Vilu »

Hi
I hope someone will help me solve this problem:
In transferring data from internal-internal or internal-external drives Everything (ET) starts well but soon goes to zero transfer rate and sticks there and the 'computer busy' light goes off. After experimenting I got the data transfer to work only by uninstalling ET and rebooting. The data transfer still goes to zero but bounces back within a second or two, and the 'computer busy' light stays on.
I'm a computer power user since IBM PC days, but not an IT pro.
Thank you for your time,
Vilu
therube

Re: Everything 1.4.1.895.x64 stops Windows Explorer in Windows 10

Post by therube »

How many files are we talking?

How are you transferring the files?

What "goes to zero transfer rate" & what does that mean?

The data transfer still goes to zero but bounces back within a second or two, and the 'computer busy' light stays on.
And that is with Everything uninstalled?
Vilu

Post by Vilu »

Thank you Therube for responding
Q: How many files are we talking?
A: I could drag up to two files into the new location with Everything installed. Anything more than that stopped the transfer.
Q: How are you transferring the files?
A: via USB3 cable.
Q: What "goes to zero transfer rate" and what does that mean?
A: That's the transfer rate indicated by windows explorer. Its horizontal indicator bar moves up and down with the data transfer rate. At the bottom of the display box it says '0' MB per second. While the Everything was installed, the indicator bar starts high (say 20 or 30 MB per second) but within seconds it crashes to the bottom and stays there. I then have to pull the USB cable out from the USB outlet to be able to use the computer. With the Everything uninstalled the data transfer rate indicator keeps on fluctuating from high to '0' and doesn't stay put at the '0' position.
I appreciate your taking time off for my problem.
Vilu

Post by Vilu »

Sorry, I omitted to say that exactly the same thing happens with internal drive to internal drive data transfer as well. In such cases I've to reboot the computer to regain control.
froggie

Post by froggie »

Take a look at this post from Void about USB

http://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopi ... usb#p23166

It might shed some light on this issue.
Vilu

Post by Vilu »

Thanks froggie
It does shed some good light. But since the problem has recurred while Everything remains uninstalled, I guess the problem is with file explorer. I'm now counting on the October update of Windows to rescue me.
Vilu

Post by Vilu »

As it turned out, my problem was not at all due to Everything but because of a corrupted Windows Shell extension. An article https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 0e9f8fdcaa suggested a solution: "When Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) is misbehaving (especially when right clicking), start to suspect third party Explorer extension add-ons."
Following its directions I downloaded and activated (it doesn't install) ShellExView from nirsoft.net and found that extension EPP had no entries under type, description, product name, company etc. It's a Microsoft Security Client Shell Extension but it probably didn't properly install. As suggested by the article I disabled it and rebooted - and my problem was solved. When I rechecked the ShellExView table again, I saw that all empty columns of EPP had now been properly populated and so I abled EPP. It now the 5th day running and everything is working normally, and have copied hundreds of gigabytes of data via internal-internal, internal-external, and external-external transfers without any hitch.
therube

Post by therube »

What is EPP?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Vilu wrote:As it turned out, my problem was not at all due to Everything but because of a corrupted Windows Shell extension. An article https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 0e9f8fdcaa suggested a solution: "When Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) is misbehaving (especially when right clicking), start to suspect third party Explorer extension add-ons."
Following its directions I downloaded and activated (it doesn't install) ShellExView from nirsoft.net and found that extension EPP had no entries under type, description, product name, company etc. It's a Microsoft Security Client Shell Extension but it probably didn't properly install. As suggested by the article I disabled it and rebooted - and my problem was solved. When I rechecked the ShellExView table again, I saw that all empty columns of EPP had now been properly populated and so I abled EPP. It now the 5th day running and everything is working normally, and have copied hundreds of gigabytes of data via internal-internal, internal-external, and external-external transfers without any hitch.
Thank you for taking the effort to feedback. Vry much appreciated! (very useful information, too!)
Vilu

Post by Vilu »

therube: All I know about EPP is that it's a Microsoft Security Client Shell Extension.
NotNull: I'm glad you find it worthwhile!