Run Count doesn't work while connected to ETP server?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
randfee

Run Count doesn't work while connected to ETP server?

Post by randfee »

I can properly connect to an everything ETP server.
However ,the column "run count" doesn't show anything when using everything this way. Am I overlooking a setting or is there a problem with the ETP server or client?

kind regards
randfee
NotNull

Re: Run Count doesn't work while connected to ETP server?

Post by NotNull »

I don't know, but I *think* this is how it works:

If you connect to an ETP server, the local Everything client on your PC "downloads" a page full of information from the ETP Server. There is not a local database where this data is stored. It is just cached. So no place to store the runcount either.

Now you are probably suggesting that the Everything client should report to the ETP Server that the runcount should be incremented. But if you run the ETP Server in a multi-user envirnment, those users would influence the runcount of 'your' file (and others too).

Long story short: runcount is not possible when connecting to an ETP Server.

I should have known better than that: runcount isn't stored in the database itself, but in a separate file, Run History.csv
Sorry for sending you in the wrong direction :oops:

Did you enable the Enable Run History setting under Menu:Tools > Options > History?
randfee

Post by randfee »

yes, but the 'Run History.csv' doesn't even get created if I start everything with a working connection to an ETP server. Neither can I manually set run counts in such a case. Only on an instance of everything that isn't connected to an ETP server do run counts get updated as expected (and can be set manually as well).
too bad if it doesn't work while connected to an ETP server, run count is a great way of quickly gauging what one is usually interested the most

regards
randfee
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Just installed an ETP srever to test this for you. I couldn't get the runcount working either.
Maybe we are missing something? Otherwise this should be a suggestion imo.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Run count information is loaded from your Run History.csv file and stored in the Everything database in memory.
This information is stored on the server side for performance reasons, and is not exposed to ETP as a security precaution.

Exposing run history through ETP might be added in a future version of Everything as an option, but this means when it is enabled, any user connected via ETP share the same run history.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

void wrote:Run count information is loaded from your Run History.csv file and stored in the Everything database in memory.
This information is stored on the server side for performance reasons, and is not exposed to ETP as a security precaution.

Exposing run history through ETP might be added in a future version of Everything as an option, but this means when it is enabled, any user connected via ETP share the same run history.
Then please leave it as it is (as far as I'm concerned)

Question: So it is better to disable the Search History and the Run History altogether on an ETP server as those are "write only"?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Search History is client side.
Run history is not accessible via ETP. There is no read or write access.

Search history is disabled by default.
Run history can be disabled if the local user running Everything with the ETP server is not using it, but even then the run history database will just be empty and remain empty.
randfee

Post by randfee »

too bad,
I think it'd be great to add this to the 1.5 or *future* wishlist --- having the run-count feature enabled while connected to an ETP server