everything.db Very Fragmented

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
lotiara

everything.db Very Fragmented

Post by lotiara »

Hi All,
as the title say, everything.db is very fragmented, even i defragment it, in a few days it's fragmented again.
Is there a wayto prevent this (more than 150 fragments is much for a very small file like this 128MB).
May be a solution would be to allocate space.

Bye
horst.epp

Re: everything.db Very Fragmented

Post by horst.epp »

To my understanding the file is not used while a session is active.
Only the RAM copy is used and on exit stored to disk.
So the fragmentation has no real impact on performance.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

horst.epp wrote:To my understanding the file is not used while a session is active.
Only the RAM copy is used and on exit stored to disk.
Correct! You could even delete the database from disk after Everything was loaded (not recommended, though). When you exit Everything, a new database will be written to disk.

@lotiara: is your Everything.db on a SSD disk? (vs HDD)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please make sure you have plenty of free space on your HDD.

Everything will write out a new Everything.db.tmp before replacing your Everything.db.

This Everything.db.tmp is most likely being fragment due to limited contiguous space.

There is nothing wrong with having a fragmented Everything.db, it will only slightly effect your Everything startup performance.
lotiara

Post by lotiara »

Thank,
I know it's not a big deal, but it shocks me to see it everytime I run Defraggler

If everything does not find de db, is it slower to boot because it has to reread the whole disk or
is it the same time ?

Thanks
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

lotiara wrote: If everything does not find de db, is it slower to boot because it has to reread the whole disk or
is it the same time ?
Depends on your situation.
If a disk is indexed for the first time, that info comes from an "address book" (the MFT table). Updates to the filesystem com from a log file (the USN journal). If there were a lot of changes since the last time you started Everything, processing those can take a while (longer than re-indexing).
On some of my computers, re-indexing is faster than processing the updates; on others it's the other way around.
Best way to find out, is to try it yourself :)

If you enable Start Everything on system startup (Menu:Tools > Options > General) you don't have to wait for those updates to get processed; it's all done in the background.

BTW: If you also have removable disks that you have indexed with Everything, the re-indexing is not an option; that information will be lost when those disks are off-line when re-indexing.
lotiara

Post by lotiara »

Thank you