Dive letters kept after plugging off drives: Everything shows empty drives?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

Dive letters kept after plugging off drives: Everything shows empty drives?

Post by Biff »

Since some time Windows keeps the drive (letter(s)) active (as if the drives were still plugged in, but they are not shown in the drive manager anymore after plugging them off: https://i.imgur.com/fxjpQtE.png) after("savely") plugging off external USB drives. And obviously Everything then scans the empty drive or whatever and does not show any files / items anymore for that drive.

Is the a way to avoid such?
void
Developer

Re: Dive letters kept after plugging off drives: Everything shows empty drives?

Post by void »

Sounds like Everything is able to open a handle to this volume that is offline.

Could you please send some debug info:
  • Connect the external drive.
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug_log
  • Disconnect the external drive.
  • What for Everything to show the empty drive.
  • Please send your %TEMP%\Everything Debug Log.txt to support@voidtools.com
  • Disable logging by typing in the following search and pressing ENTER:
    /debug_log
Please try disabling auto remove offline volumes if you wish to keep the volume indexed in Everything:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • Uncheck Automatically remove offline volumes.
  • Click OK.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Sounds like Everything is able to open a handle to this volume that is offline.
May be I am wrong, just an assumption, but at least Everything didn't show any item for one of my drives the last times.

And the last time Everything often gets closed automatically respectively crashed, I do not know, without a message.

I have set folders for Z: now:
Please try disabling auto remove offline volumes if you wish to keep the volume indexed in Everything:

In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
Click the NTFS tab on the left.
Uncheck Automatically remove offline volumes.
Click OK.
Yes, auto remove offline volumes is disabled for all of my drives.

Can or should I plugg off the drive when this is shown:

At the moment Everything is faded out (showing "No response"), not accessible and I assume it will close after some time so it is not possible to get the log:

I will try to send the log after it is done.
therube

Post by therube »

The drives are NTFS.
Why not set them up as NTFS indexes rather then Folders?

Not clear, but are you looking to retain the (file) information on the drives in Everything when the drives are (safely) "removed" from Disk Management?

On my end, my external drive ("caddy") maintains the file information for that drive (S: as it is) even after Safely Removing the drive.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Why not set them up as NTFS indexes rather then Folders?
They are set up as indexes.
Not clear, but are you looking to retain the (file) information on the drives in Everything when the drives are (safely) "removed" from Disk Management?
Yes, I am. But generally they are retained.
On my end, my external drive ("caddy") maintains the file information for that drive (S: as it is) even after Safely Removing the drive.
So, Everything keeps the volume of that drive. Yes, the same with me, at least it is usually like that.
Biff

Post by Biff »

I have sent you the logs with e-mail yesterday, void.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the debug logs.

Everything is rescanning your Z: drive at the time you remove it, it is possible this will cause Everything to end up with a partial scan of your Z: drive.
The would be rectified on the next scheduled rescan.

Please try removing your Z: drive as a folder index as it is already indexed as a NTFS volume:
  • Click the Folders tab on the left.
  • Select your Z: drive and click Remove.
  • Select your Z:\Filme folder and click Remove.
  • Click OK.
You should find your Z: drive is already index under Tools -> Options -> NTFS -> Z:. Can you please confirm?
You should have been seeing duplicated results for Z:, and triple results under Z:\Filme.
NTFS indexing uses the USN Journal to keep it up-to-date, no rescanning is necessary. Safely removing the device should be instant.
Just unplugging the device shouldn't cause any issues with NTFS indexing in Everything.

Added to my TODO list: incase of device removal during a folder index rescan, Everything should check if the drive is available at the start of the rescan AND AT THE END OF RESCANNING.
Can or should I plugg off the drive when this is shown:
It is best to use the safely remove device if possible. Everything might prevent this if it is doing a rescan.

At the moment Everything is faded out (showing "No response"), not accessible and I assume it will close after some time so it is not possible to get the log:
Could be a couple reasons, debug logging causes many USN journal events, and Everything might not be able to keep up.
Everything is trying to access your B: drive, which is very slow. It might be a device with removable media? Please try making sure Include in database is not enabled for this volume under Tools -> Options -> NTFS -> B: -> Uncheck Include in database.
There was a lot of changes to process at 19:01:01.656.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Everything is rescanning your Z: drive at the time you remove it, it is possible this will cause Everything to end up with a partial scan of your Z: drive.
Yes, the scan lasts very long (may be 5 to 10 or 15 minutes or so or even longer) for that drive. Usually I wait until Everything is finished. There are about 2 or 3 Million items on it.
Please try removing your Z: drive as a folder index as it is already indexed as a NTFS volume:
I have added those 2 folder indexes because the last times Everything didn't show any file, folder on Z: (I assume that was because the letter Z: was kept after removing that drive and Everything scanned an empty drive so to say), it was shown to be empty. And as there are only about 2000 files or so in the Film folder that scan is quite fast, that's why I added that index, too.
You should find your Z: drive is already index under Tools -> Options -> NTFS -> Z:. Can you please confirm?
Yes, that is true.
You should have been seeing duplicated results for Z:, and triple results under Z:\Filme.
Yes, that is right. At the moment there are shown duplicated results, I assume, for the 2 folder indexes and a third result is missing obviously. How could one distinguish the folder indexes results and the NTFS volume ones?
NTFS indexing uses the USN Journal to keep it up-to-date, no rescanning is necessary. Safely removing the device should be instant.
Motly there is no way to remove my drives "savely".
Just unplugging the device shouldn't cause any issues with NTFS indexing in Everything.
Alright, I have set the option for drives for fast removing (or whatever it is called), actually one should not remove a drive not savely anyway, I guess.
Everything is trying to access your B: drive, which is very slow. It might be a device with removable media?
It is a USB 2.0 drive, 2,5", 1 TB, might have some issues. But it was not connected the last time / during logging.
Please try making sure Include in database is not enabled for this volume under Tools -> Options -> NTFS -> B: -> Uncheck Include in database.
But actually I would like to have it included / to be indexed.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Yes, the scan lasts very long (may be 5 to 10 or 15 minutes or so or even longer) for that drive. Usually I wait until Everything is finished. There are about 2 or 3 Million items on it.
10 minutes seems normal.
Yes, that is right. At the moment there are shown duplicated results, I assume, for the 2 folder indexes and a third result is missing obviously. How could one distinguish the folder indexes results and the NTFS volume ones?
Please try searching for:
filelistfilename:.

Please try removing your Z: drive as a folder index:
  • Click the Folders tab on the left.
  • Select your Z: drive and click Remove.
  • Select your Z:\Filme folder and click Remove.
  • Click OK.
Please let me know if you can not find any files on your Z: drive in Everything after physically removing your Z: drive.
Biff

Post by Biff »

10 minutes seems normal.
OK, I hadn't supposed that.
Please try searching for:
filelistfilename:.
filelistfilename:. does not show anything. Without "." Everything obviously shows all items. "filelistfilename: Z:" shows the same items as "Z: does. "filelistfilename: Z:\Film" shows the same as "Z:\Film".
Please let me know if you can not find any files on your Z: drive in Everything after physically removing your Z: drive.
At the moment I really do not know, sorry, I am not able to understand how to do it.