Hardlink Icons

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
mschmitt

Hardlink Icons

Post by mschmitt »

I'm seeing oddities with hardlinks. Is this a known issue, or not?
  • New hardlinks don't appear in Everything search results until I force an update. (Such as, if I create a hardlink using Link Shell Extension)
  • If a file has hardlinks (i.e a link count > 1), the icon in the Everything search result is a black box.
This is with Windows 7 64-bit, Everything 1.4.895 (x64). Enable USN Journal is selected.
therube

Re: Hardlink Icons

Post by therube »

> New hardlinks don't appear in Everything search results until I force an update

Pretty sure that is expected.

> the icon in the Everything search result is a black box

I don't have HLS installed presently, but I don't recall that being the case when I did (& that would have been with HLS 3868, I'm thinking).
therube

Post by therube »

(On XP now &) the icon is displaying as expected.
(On Win7, where I haven't put HLS back in, yet) I'll note that I don't use any Windows "fancy crap" (in case that makes a difference), instead my Win7 looks like XP.

(I created a hard link of xxx [the file] to yyy [which does not show - as I have not force refreshed, so expected].)
mschmitt

Post by mschmitt »

Every black icon below is a hard link. Every icon that isn't black is not a hard link.
Black Icons.PNG
Black Icons.PNG (114.74 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
It appears to be related to the "Overlay icon for Hardlinks" option in Link Shell Extension, even though that option wasn't actually working. I turned it off, and now Everything is OK.

What is HLS?
therube

Post by therube »

Oops, I should have used LSE (above).

H-ard L-ink S-hell (which is what the actual download is named, aka HLS, but then I also on my end aka it as LSE too, Link Shell Extension, which is the what he actually calls things on his website).

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... nsion.html
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/ln/ln.html
void
Developer

Post by void »

Does Everything-1.4.1.906 work with "Overlay icon for Hardlinks" enabled?
mschmitt

Post by mschmitt »

void wrote:Does Everything-1.4.1.906 work with "Overlay icon for Hardlinks" enabled?
Build 906 has no effect on the icons.

Note that the overlay icons do not actually work. I don't know if that makes a difference.