Different letters for same drive: how avoid different volumes for same drive?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

Different letters for same drive: how avoid different volumes for same drive?

Post by Biff »

The NTFS volumes are messed up because Win very often assigns different / wrong letters to the (external) same drives:

What is the easiest / fastest way to clean up the volumes (remove the duplicates of the same drives)? Without doing it manually for each volume, so using a search for fsi:0 to fsi:30 or so.

How could Everything scan the same drive only once (and not a further time when / if it gets another letter)?

Is there a way to resize that window (shown on the screenshot)? The area showing the volums is very small. It is quite unhandy (to always scroll to see the volumes).

When I assign a drive letter to a drive that letter obviously is still used for other drives also, it is not reserved for that single drive I assigned it to. Is there a way Win would use that letter for this single drive only?
therube

Re: Different letters for same drive: how avoid different volumes for same drive?

Post by therube »

I'll just note, that you can assign specific driver letters to specific drives - & they generally persist.
Such that the next time you plug in your drive it retains your specified letter.
(If you're talking about 30 drives, that will be a bit difficult. But so long as you have enough drive letters free...)
void
Developer

Re: Different letters for same drive: how avoid different volumes for same drive?

Post by void »

What is the easiest / fastest way to clean up the volumes (remove the duplicates of the same drives)? Without doing it manually for each volume, so using a search for fsi:0 to fsi:30 or so.
Currently, there is no easier way, sorry.
How could Everything scan the same drive only once (and not a further time when / if it gets another letter)?
I'll consider adding support for this, I just need to rebuild the root folder for a moved volume.
Unfortunately, it gets tricky when there are multiple roots (include-only).
Is there a way to resize that window (shown on the screenshot)? The area showing the volums is very small. It is quite unhandy (to always scroll to see the volumes).
Not yet, sorry.
Resizing the Everything options window is on my TODO list.

I've improved the detection of "moved" volumes for the next release of Everything.
This will make Everything automatically remove "moved" volumes.
Biff

Post by Biff »

I'll just note, that you can assign specific driver letters to specific drives - & they generally persist.
Yes, yes, but how long? I have always problems with that, sometime they will change automatically.
Such that the next time you plug in your drive it retains your specified letter.
Yes, it often works. But if one plugs in a SD Card, USB-Stick, HDD, etc. which gets the letter being assigned to a special drive and one plugs in that drive it will get another one. Or, if you assign E: to a drive and you plug in some drive it will get letter E when the E: drive is not plugged in.

Thank you, void, that sounds very great!
therube

Post by therube »

I don't have too many drives, but by picking higher drive letters, for me, they are essentially static.

K: is my Corsair
S: is my Seagate
T: is my Toshiba

& if I throw in any random drive - where it doesn't matter, it gets picked up as D: or whatever my lowest drive letter is that I have available.

(E: is always my OS drive. C: has to be there. Removables get higher drive letters. Fixed partitions get whatever works.)
Biff

Post by Biff »

I don't have too many drives, but by picking higher drive letters, for me, they are essentially static.

K: is my Corsair
S: is my Seagate
T: is my Toshiba
Yes, that is a good way to use letters having a bigger distance to the lowest letter so you have some letters between them before K: could automatically be used for a wrong drive.
& if I throw in any random drive - where it doesn't matter, it gets picked up as D: or whatever my lowest drive letter is that I have available.
Yes, the same here, here it is E: (the lowest drive letter), D: is DVD player. A: and B: I have in use also.

If one could reserve a letter for a special drive (that this letter would not be used for other drives) it would be much easier.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Biff wrote:
Yes, yes, but how long? I have always problems with that, sometime they will change automatically.
Yes, it often works. But if one plugs in a SD Card, USB-Stick, HDD, etc. which gets the letter being assigned to a special drive and one plugs in that drive it will get another one. Or, if you assign E: to a drive and you plug in some drive it will get letter E when the E: drive is not plugged in.

Thank you, void, that sounds very great!
Use a tool like USBDLM and you have full control over your drive letters.
https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html
Biff

Post by Biff »

Thank you for the link, yes I am already using / having it, but I do not know how to use that program to reserve drive letters.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

If you have thàt many disks, Windows will have a hard time assigning unique drive letters to them. In general, the 'higher' driveletters (let's say K: and up) are safe. Keep the other drivelettres variable.

Another way to approach this, is to use 'mountpoints' instead of driveletters.
That way the contents of those disks will be shown in a folder on your local fixed disks.
Example: C:\Disks\MyBook8TB will show the contents of your MyBook8TB disk in File Explorer (if attached). But Everything will show that content anyhow; regardless if the disk is connected or not.
That will also make it easier to recognize which disk contains which files (you asked about that in another thread)
If you do that for a couple/all disks, you have room for fixed assignments for the remaining disks

Here's how:
  • Create a folder somewhere on your C:-drive. Let's say C:\DISKS
  • Create for all disks you want "drive-letter free" a folder under C:\DISKS that describes that disk
    (let's say C:\DISKS\MyBook8TB or C:\DISKS\BackupDisk1). Don't put files (or folders) in that directory.
  • Connect your MyBook8TB disk (Z:-drive ?)
  • Start diskmgmt.msc as Administrator
  • select that Z:-drive and right-click > Change driveletters and paths
  • Click the Change button
  • Select Mount in the following empty NTFS folder:
  • Enter here C:\DISKS\MyBook8TB
  • Click OK
Now you should see the contents of that disks in C:\DISKS\MyBook8TB
Let Everything index this disk.

Now if you search for a file that is on that disk, Everything will show it as: myfile.txt in the folder C:\DISKS\MyBook8TB\data\Myfile.txt, even if the disk is not connected (assuming you unchecked Automatically remove offline volumes (Menu:Tools > Options > NTFS).
Bonus: you know straightaway that this file is on your MyBook8TB disk :), so you can coonect that one

NOTE: this is all untested, so better start with some 'unimportant' disks ...
Biff

Post by Biff »

Keep the other drivelettres variable.
Well, yes, but it is too late for that, I guess. And I would like to have the letters according to the content of the drives, have them sorted.
Another way to approach this, is to use 'mountpoints' instead of driveletters.
Didn't even know there is such way.
That way the contents of those disks will be shown in a folder on your local fixed disks.
And the contents will not keep showing there when the drives are plugged off again, I assume.

I do not know how to access that option, it is faded out (started as admin):
Let Everything index this disk.
If it does not work I easyly could reverse it?
Now if you search for a file that is on that disk, Everything will show it as: myfile.txt in the folder C:\DISKS\MyBook8TB\data\Myfile.txt, even if the disk is not connected (assuming you unchecked Automatically remove offline volumes (Menu:Tools > Options > NTFS).
Yes, it is unchecked.
Bonus: you know straightaway that this file is on your MyBook8TB disk :), so you can coonect that one
Hm, I am not sure, Eveything shows the drive letter, too, so one would know that file is on Z: as well. Or am I missing anything?
And it won't be accessible as drive Z: anymore then, like it was before. So the old pathes (e.g. in programs) to / on that drive wouldn't be correct anymore? The access speed of the drive will be the same like before? Are there any drawbacks mountpoints might have?

Thank you very much!