Start up time

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Sum

Start up time

Post by Sum »

Hi

I recently installed Everything on my new Windows 10 computer.

My old machine was ~10 year old, running Windows 7.

The thing is, I used the portable version on my old machine and it never took longer than 1 second to start everything.

On my new machine it takes under 1 second as well when I boot Windows, but after ~20-40min. it takes 3-4 seconds, before the Everything window pops up. The only software thats running after I boot to Windows is Firefox and Foobar.

I wonder why this happens and if I can do something about it. These are the settings.

Thanks
NotNull

Re: Start up time

Post by NotNull »

This is mostly caused by Windows 10. It is a lot more "chatty" than Win7, especially during updates.
All changes to the filesystem are stored in a special file (the USN Journal) and when Everything starts, it reads all those changes in order to be in sync with the actual situation. On Win10 there are simply more changes to process compared to Win7.

One thing you could do to minimize those 3 seconds is to enable the Start Everything on system startup setting (see your screenshot).
That way Everything can process all those filesystem changes in the background and is ready when you need it.