x86 &x64

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
ronjac

x86 &x64

Post by ronjac »

Hi, I can't get x64 Everything to work, Windows (8) just keeps showing program not responding after Iv'e installed and launched. Everything goes through all my disk's then shows a blank screen and freezes. x86 works fine. My system and OS is 64Bit. Thanks.
NotNull

Re: x86 &x64

Post by NotNull »

I have no idea, but if this happened on my system, I would delete the existing (32-bit?) database and INI file to start 'clean'.

If you used the installation defaults, you can find those files in:
%APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini (that would translate to something like c:\users\ronjac\Appdata\roaming\Everthing\Everything.ini)
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Everything\Everything.db (that would translate to something like c:\users\ronjac\Appdata\local\Everthing\Everything.db)
void
Developer

Post by void »

If the freeze still occurs after deleting your Everything.db, please try running Everything in debug mode:
  • When the Everything Search window is shown, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
  • What is shown in the debug console when Everything freezes?
ronjac

Post by ronjac »

I can't type anything as after it has read all my disks, finding 715,530 objects but not showing any, I end up with a blank screen with Everything at the top and Not Responding in brackets.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

ronjac wrote:I can't type anything as after it has read all my disks, finding 715,530 objects but not showing any, I end up with a blank screen with Everything at the top and Not Responding in brackets.
I assume deleting the database didn't help?

What version of Everything are you using?
therube

Post by therube »

Would -read-only switch be of benefit?
With no .db, but with -read-only you'd expect Everything to open, but not display anything.

You could see if you can get that far.

Then exit, & throw in a copy of the .db (say, from backup) & see if Everything opens successfully, reading from the .db - in read-only mode?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try running Everything with the -debug command line option:
  • Completely exit Everything (right click the Everything system tray icon and click Exit).
  • Open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
  • Navigate to your Everything installation folder, for example:
    cd "C:\Program Files\Everything"
  • Launch Everything with the -debug command line option:
    Everything.exe -debug
  • When Everything freezes, what is shown in the debug console?
ronjac

Post by ronjac »

Got it working. I installed in admin mode which seemed to do the trick. Thank's for all the advice, love this program.