Issue with drag & drop into RAR archives

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
coch

Issue with drag & drop into RAR archives

Post by coch »

Ok, here's a weird one.
First, some basic info:
- Windows 10 Pro x64 Creators Update, using an administrator account, UAC enabled but set to "never notify"
- Everything Search 1.4.1.867b (x64), running as administrator and Everything service installed and running.
- WinRAR v5.40 x64

Issue: Whenever I open a .RAR file through Everything Search after searching for the file, I can't drag and drop files into the archive. Dropping the file into the archive just does nothing at all (no UI feedback), it just silently fails to do anything when the normal behavior is that WinRAR would open the "Archive name and parameters" window allowing my to configure any setting before actually adding the new file to the archive.

Adding the file to the archive through WinRAR's "Add button" or by copying the file then pasting (CTRL-V) into the open archive works as expected and I am getting the "Archive name and parameters" window as stated above. It's just the drag & drop functionality that's broken.

Furthermore, when opening the exact same .RAR file after browsing to it outside Everything Search, WinRAR displays the normal behavior and I don't have an issue drag&dropping files in the open archive. This suggests that WinRAR works as expected and this is somehow caused by Everything Search, although at this point I haven't completely ruled out WinRAR as the culprit... might just be some weird interaction between the two software.

It looks to me as if opening a .RAR archive through Everything Search opens it in some different "environment" in which the drag & drop functionality is somehow blocked.

Fresh reformatting of the computer + clean install of Windows 10 does not resolve the issue. I can reproduce every time, with different .RAR archives, and different files I'm trying to add to the archive.

Can anyone reproduce to confirm it's not specific to my PC, and/or suggests more specific things I could look into for troubleshooting?

Thanks!
void
Developer

Re: Issue with drag & drop into RAR archives

Post by void »

- Everything Search 1.4.1.867b (x64), running as administrator and Everything service installed and running.
Please try running Everything as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Click OK
  • Right click the Everything system tray icon and click Exit.
  • Restart Everything.
coch

Post by coch »

Thank you very much, this appears to fix the issue I was having. Out of curiosity, any reason why, at least in this case, standard user works better than administrator? I'm used to software needing administrator rights to enable more functionality, not fewer.

Also, is there any drawback from not running as administrator though? Are there functionalities that Everything had when running as administrator which will no longer work as a standard user? Just want to know what I'm missing as a standard user.

Thanks
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you very much, this appears to fix the issue I was having. Out of curiosity, any reason why, at least in this case, standard user works better than administrator?
Basically Windows blocks non-admin windows communicating with admin windows. For more information, please see:
User Interface Privilege Isolation.
Also, is there any drawback from not running as administrator though? Are there functionalities that Everything had when running as administrator which will no longer work as a standard user?
The Everything Service is required to use NTFS indexing when running Everything as a standard user.
There should be no noticeable drawbacks when using the Everything Service vs running as administrator.
coch

Post by coch »

Great, thanks again for the explanation.