Everything doesn't start with Windows

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
oblomov

Everything doesn't start with Windows

Post by oblomov »

Hi.
I have Win 10 64 bit. Everything doesn't start with Windows. I've set the right options in the program's preferences, but it just won't start at logon.
What should I do?
Thanks.

(Sorry for bad english) :D
void
Developer

Re: Everything doesn't start with Windows

Post by void »

Please make sure Run as administrator is disabled and the Everything service is enabled:
  • In "Everything", from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab.
  • Check Everything Service.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Click OK.
  • Exit "Everything" (right click the Everything system tray icon and click Exit)
  • Restart Everything.
coderCK

Post by coderCK »

I'm having the same issue with Windows 10 x64, and I followed the instructions but it still doesn't work. I've even tried putting a shortcut to Everything in the Startup directory. What does happen when I follow the instructions is that the Everything service is running (in the task manager, I can see it in the Services tab, in the Processes tab under Background processes, and in the Details tab as Everything.exe), but there is no way for me to open a search window because there's no icon in the tray. So then I have to run the shortcut again (e.g. from the Start Menu), and then there will be two Everything.exe processes running, and I'll finally have my tray icon.

The weird thing about this is that it was working just fine for over a year, and then one day (within the past month or so) I started my computer and it was no longer in the tray. I don't remember changing any Windows configurations that would affect this, though there have been regular system updates. I should also note that this is with the Everything 1.3.4.686 Installer (64-bit). I have not tried the 32-bit installer, nor the 1.4.1 beta.

Any suggestions? I appreciate any help.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Is Start Everything on system startup checked in Everything:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab.
  • Is Start Everything on system startup checked or square-checked?
Is Everything still running as admin?
  • In Everything, press Ctrl + `
    Please look for the following line in the debug console starting with:
    IsAdmin
  • Is there a 1 or a 0 at the end of this line?
coderCK

Post by coderCK »

In Everything, in the Options window, Start Everything on system startup is checked.
In the debug console, it says isAdmin 1.
coderCK

Post by coderCK »

Since I saw in the console that it said isAdmin 1, I decided to investigate why it was running as admin even though the box was not checked in the options. Somehow, Everything.exe in Program Files\Everything had its properties set to run as administrator (I'm not sure how that got changed). I unchecked it in the file properties, restarted my computer, and it is running correctly again.

Thanks for your help!
engineerjer

Post by engineerjer »

Hi.

I had the same problem. I'm also running Win 10x64. I also had the same problem with another app, leading me to believe that this is really a Windows issue, and I'm sure we all know how soon that will be fixed.

I came up with the following, which seems to do everything I want it to do.

I copy the Everything shortcut into C:\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Startup.

I then edit the properties on the copied link to add, without the quotes, " -startup" to the Target.