Sometimes file(s) exist but are not listed by Everything

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
TonyAustin

Sometimes file(s) exist but are not listed by Everything

Post by TonyAustin »

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or an issue of some sort on my installation of Everything. Also, apologies if this matter is covered elsewhere in this forum, I searched but didn't discover it.

As an example, earlier today is searched for chicago tribune and did not get a match. But I knew there were two files somewhere inside my Eudora mail client's many hundreds of folders. So I spent about five minutes hunting through the Eudora file hierarchy until eventually I found the two files (chicago tribune.mbx and chicago tribune.toc -- a mailbox and its table of contents).

What troubles me is that I suspected there were matching files, and eventually found them, but Everything failed to find them. This is a little worrying, because it casts some doubt upon the reliability/thoroughness of doing a file search using Everything.

I put the system to sleep and logged in again some hours later, and much to my surprise found that Everything now displayed these two files!

Why would the files not show up when I wanted then to (the original search), yet later on be discovered? What possible reasons are there for this, in terms of the way Everything does indexing? I should point out that, in this case, these two files have existed on the system for years, they certainly were not recently added.

I have seen such behavior a few times before, so it's not an isolated incident. While it's a rare occurrence, it does make me wonder about placing 100.0000 percent trust in the search results provided -(or rather, in this case, not provided )by Everything.

I will never give up using Everything, it's a software pearl, and in most cases it returns results that I do trust. But I will remain a little unsettled about tits reliability if you get my drift.

ENHANCEMENT REQUEST:
I would very much like to have a button to initiate a complete system-wide re-indexing. ... And perhaps it might resolve situations like the one discussed above, would you say?
therube

Re: Sometimes file(s) exist but are not listed by Everything

Post by therube »

did not get a match
If your searches were as you say, 'chicago tribune', the Search options (enabled or not) still should have found your files, so maybe you had a Filter in force (like Audio) in which case neither .mbx nor .toc would have been found?

a button to initiate a complete system-wide re-indexing
Tools | Options | Indexes -> Force Rebuild
TonyAustin

Post by TonyAustin »

therube wrote:
did not get a match
If your searches were as you say, 'chicago tribune', the Search options (enabled or not) still should have found your files, so maybe you had a Filter in force (like Audio) in which case neither .mbx nor .toc would have been found?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
No, I didn't have any filters active at the time. and anyway when I came back later (withour changing filters or anything else) it DID find the two files. So I'm left wondering why it didn't find them first off (especially since the two files were created years ago, so the index should have pointed to them).
a button to initiate a complete system-wide re-indexing
Tools | Options | Indexes -> Force Rebuild
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Thanks, I completely overlooked that button. :oops: :oops: :oops:
void
Developer

Post by void »

I'm more red faced than you, Everything should not be missing changes.

If you have the Everything service installed (Tools -> Options -> General -> Everything service), please make sure it is running.

To start the Everything service if it has stopped:
  • Open the Task manager with Ctrl + Shift + ESC.
  • Click the Services tab.
  • Right click Everything and click Start service.
  • Completely exit Everything (Right click the Everything system tray icon and click Exit)
  • Restart Everything.
  • Everything should do a quick update and find the files missing in the index.