ETP server stops working after unknown events and will no longer respond until PC is reset.

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
dgbear

ETP server stops working after unknown events and will no longer respond until PC is reset.

Post by dgbear »

ETP Server fails after unknown events and stops responding to requests to reach the ETP server.

I continue to notice a problem where Everything suddenly stops responding to the ETP client requests.
Once this happens the ETP server will no longer answer client requests until the server PC is reset.

When an attempt invoked by an Everything client I get the following error message:
"Everything - Unable to connect to ETP server: A connection could not be established."

Once the server PC is reset the problem is resolved.

* I've confirmed the problem is on the server side by attempting to telnet into the server's tcp port.
When the server is working I get the correct response (220 Welcome to Everything ETP/FTP)
When the server is not working I get no answer after a timeout period.

* I've confirm the problem is not a port or firewall problem.
- I've closed all instances of Everything and used Microsoft's "process explorer" and "TCPView" to confirm no instances of everything.exe is running and that the ETP port is now closed.
- I then open another application (ftp server) configured to that the same port and confirmed that I can now open the tcp port and get a respond to that program.

During the failure time I've also tried changed Everything's TCP port number to see if this will fix the problem.
I can see Everything close the old port and open the new port with TCPView but like on the original port... the new port does not get a response.
The ETP Server log reports "ETP server online."
Also note - during the failure period the local Everything search function seem to operate as normal.

Recently this problem seemed to coincide to an event where the server pc had several active ETP clients active and the clients fail when other pc is reset. The following attempts to describe this event.

PC-A Everything ETP Client ---> >--- PC-B Everything ETP Server (Several Connections active)
PC-A Everything ETP Server ---< <--- PC-B Everything ETP Client (Several Connections active)

PC-A is Rebooted PC-B then stops responding to ETP Server requests
PC-A Everything ETP Client ---> Can't Connect >--- PC-B Everything ETP Server

I've experienced the problem on WinXP and Windows 7. Everything 1.4.782b (x64) Portable version.

Before posting this I noticed a newer version... I tried closing the older and running the newer Everything-1.4.1.809b.x64 version on the failing pc... the problem was still present.

I use the portable version of Everything (run as admin)... is there a service that Everything is dependent on that I can check?

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this issue or resolve the issue without resetting the server PC?

FYI - I Love the Everything program! I use it daily and think its one of the most useful and best windows programs ever.
void
Developer

Re: ETP server stops working after unknown events and will no longer respond until PC is reset.

Post by void »

Thanks for the detailed issue report.

The first thing to try would be to put the Everything hosting the ETP server (PC-B) into verbose debug mode:
  • In Everything on your Server, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
  • Type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /verbose
In verbose debug mode all listening events are logged to the debug console.

After connecting with Client PC-A, Restart Client PC-A.
Have client PC-A reconnect to server PC-B, when client PC-A is unable to connect to server PC-B, what is displayed in the debug console on server PC-B?

Are there any lines as follows when you try connecting from client PC-A:
listen event <x> <y>

Does Restarting Everything fix the issue?

I use the portable version of Everything (run as admin)... is there a service that Everything is dependent on that I can check?
The service is not required when running as admin, the service is a simple wrapper allowing Everything to index NTFS volumes when running as a standard user.