How to search folders and file names at the same time, in beta

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
leuce

How to search folders and file names at the same time, in beta

Post by leuce »

Hello everyone

Until this morning, I had the stable version installed, but I had a problem with it: it stayed on top (i.e. if I open a file from it, the file would open behind Everything, and I'd have to close or move Everything to get access to the file that I had opened). So I uninstalled it and then installed the current beta version.

However, previously I was able to search for both file names and folders at the same time. I mean, if I have a folder called "asdf fdsa", and I am looking for all files with "foo" in the file name that are in the "asdf fdsa" folder, I'd search for: "asdf fdsa" foo. However, currently, I can search ONLY folders or ONLY files. Now, if I search for "asdf fdsa" foo, it gets me no results, even though there are files with the string "foo" in a folder that contains "asdf fdsa" in its name.

Searching for "asdf fdsa" gets me the files and folders with "asdf fdsa" in their name. Searching for foo gets me the files and folders with "foo" in their name. Searching for asdf fdsa gets me the files and folders with both asdf and fdsa in their name.

But how can I search in such a way that if a file is a result only if it has "foo" AND "asdf fdsa" in its entire path? (i.e. so that I can easily limit my search to certain folders, without having to visit those folders individually).

Thanks
Samuel
leuce

Re: How to search folders and file names at the same time, in beta

Post by leuce »

Oh, wait, found it: oddly, not all options are available via Tools > Options dialog. Some settings have to be set via the other menus (e.g. Search > Match Path).
Whirly

Re: How to search folders and file names at the same time, in beta

Post by Whirly »

You can also go in to Search>>Advanced Search and there is a drop down menu "Type" that deals with that issue.