Activity log?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
burgundy

Activity log?

Post by burgundy »

Is there an activity log in Everything?

I have been tweaking some NTFS options such that every now and then the cpu used by Everything is much greater than what I would usually see for an update of Everything's index. (My PC is slow, so this is only relative but it does affect normal use.)

It would be useful to see what activities Everything undertook at these times.
therube

Re: Activity log?

Post by therube »

I would think it less likely what Everything is doing, but rather what you (including the OS, behind the scenes) are doing that is affecting what Everything has to monitor.

At times I'll "clean up" some fairly large directory trees, deleting a bunch of files & directories, all at once, & during those times Everything's CPU usage climbs as it takes notice of all the deletes. So I'll get a high CPU load during that time, but then it subsides.

On my end, it is only what I may do that causes high CPU usage in Everything.
I've not known XP or Win7 to do anything significant enough to give Everything a notice.
(I was thinking, antivirus, which I don't use, but then second thought is that too shouldn't cause any issues?)

There is the debug console, but I'm not sure what to tell you to look for?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything will report file system activity to the debug console.

To show the debug console:
  • In Everything, press Ctrl + `
Depending on which version of Everything you have may need to restart Everything in verbose debug mode to see file system activity messages.

Everything 830b or later will always show verbose file system activity messages in the debug console.

To enable verbose file system message in older versions of Everything:
  • Completely exit Everything, right click the Everything system tray icon and click Exit.
  • Open a command prompt and navigate to your Everything installation folder.
  • Start Everything with the -debug -verbose command line options:
    Everything.exe -debug -verbose
Take note of any blue lines as they will show how long a performance intensive operation took.
updated C: in 0.022014 seconds

Take note of any cyan lines as they will show what file system change occurred.
USN_RECORD 4508341952, FLAGS 00002020, PARENT FRN 0004000000009f67, FRN 00370000
0009846d, reason CREATE (00000100), filename sessionstore-3.js

If you see lots of these, check the filename, do an Everything search on the filename to try and find which program is causing the file system spam.
Usually you can tell from the path, if not, Process Explorer might help.

To hide the debug console:
  • In Everything, press Ctrl + `
You could also try sorting by date recently changed, files that are constantly changing will be shown at the top.
burgundy

Post by burgundy »

I am using Everything 1.4.1.809b (x86).

I can't access the debug console using Ctrl + ` or Ctrl + ~

I am using a UK keyboard if that makes a difference with those special characters.
therube

Post by therube »

What OS?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I can't access the debug console using Ctrl + ` or Ctrl + ~
Please try the following:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
burgundy

Post by burgundy »

Unfortunately /DEBUG does not work.

I am using Windows XP SP3. Could my old OS be causing my difficulties in entering debug mode?
salazor

Post by salazor »

I also have Windows XP SP3 and Everything 1.4.1.824b (x86) - command /debug works OK.

Download new beta and try.

EDIT: Only now I noticed, too bad that when you close the window cmd, are also closed all the windows Everything.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Unfortunately /DEBUG does not work.
Are you sure you are using Everything 809b? check the Help -> About Everything menu.
Please make sure you use lowercase for /debug
I am using Windows XP SP3. Could my old OS be causing my difficulties in entering debug mode?
It's possible, when debug mode is enabled, you should see a console window popup.
Another way to start in debug mode is from a command prompt:
  • Completely exit Everything (right click the Everything system tray icon and click Exit)
  • From a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd), navigate to your Everything installation folder (cd c:\program files\Everything), run Everything with the -debug command line option:
    Everything.exe -debug
Closing the debug console will cause Everything to exit immediately.
To hide the debug console, press Ctrl + ` in Everything or type in the following search and press ENTER:
/debug
burgundy

Post by burgundy »

Turns out I was using uppercase /DEBUG instead of /debug. Thank you for your help and patience.

I will now use the debug info to monitor what's going on with my system.