UAC message when starting Everything

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
terrypin

UAC message when starting Everything

Post by terrypin »

This is a recent change (several days) and I can't pinpoint any obvious cause. It's undoubtedly down to Windows 10 and I've posted to a couple of forums and newsgroups, but I would appreciate any insights or advice here too please.

When using one of my two ways of starting Everything I get this pesky UAC message:

Short of switching off UAC altogether, or using a rather complicated scheduled task method, are there any suggestions I can try to switch it off please? Why would one program require this warning and not dozens of others?

More detail:
I also get it when running Regedit, and I've had it on occasions for other programs too, which is why it's clearly not an Everything issue.

The run method I use is unusual: an AutoHotKey script I copy/pasted, which opens Everything with two presses of the Right Ctrl key. So you see why an extra mouse click on Yes is undesirable. But it simply runs the Everything.exe. I get the same UAC message if I manually d-click that.

The other method is to left click the Everything icon in the system tray. That's not as quick as the KB method. But, strangely (to me anyway!) it does not make the UAC message appear.

I can supply whatever other details might be helpful.

--------------------
Edit: Clicking 'Show more details' displayed the following. I' was puzzled by that -isrunas?

But I'm even more puzzled after simply repeating that, when I get this different suffix:

A few further repetitions all gave that same last result, but still seems odd about the earlier one.

Any idea what's going on here please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
horst.epp

Re: UAC message when starting Everything

Post by horst.epp »

Everything needs enhanced rights to read the MFT for NTFS volumes.
The simple solution is to install the service as offered by the installer.
Then there is no UAC prompt and also no need to run it as Admin.
terrypin

Re: UAC message when starting Everything

Post by terrypin »

Thanks. Is that in reply to my subsequent post, reporting I'd solved it? That hasn't appeared here.

Anyway, in case you haven't seen it, I'd swiched on 'Run as administrator' (I think while I was trying to cure that indexing problem). You may have noticed it in the screenshot I sent in that other thread:

With that removed, no UAC message!

But, I went on to ask, OT, if you knew why that was? Seems counter-intuitive. The more privileges, the fewer redundant warning messages I'd have thought?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK