Everything program freezes on opening newer files

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
brucehurley

Everything program freezes on opening newer files

Post by brucehurley »

When I try to open files, Everything freezes, forcing a manual shutdown through Task Manager. Strangely, this only happens on newer files and never on older ones. The cutoff date seems to be different for different programs. I've tried multiple versions of Everything and they all have the same problem: older versions of the files always open up; newer versions freeze it. This is not related to file extensions. All my earlier DOC files open, but so do earlier DOCX files. Earlier JPGs and PDFs open, but later ones crash Everything.

I had a remote tech guy do some work on my computer last October, so I'm wondering if he could have done something to affect this. Everything always worked perfectly for me before! Please help! I've tried other file search programs, but I'm addicted to this one! Thank you!
void
Developer

Re: Everything program freezes on opening newer files

Post by void »

It might be DDE issue.

Are you running Everything as admin? if so, please try running Everything as a standard user and installing the Everything service:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab.
  • Check Everything Service.
  • Click Apply.
  • Uncheck Run as admin.
  • Click OK.
  • Restart Everything.
If you are already running Everything as a standard user, please send some debug output:
  • In Everything, press Ctrl + `
  • Open a new file.
  • What is displayed in the debug console when Everything freezes?