Right click crashes program

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
terrypin

Right click crashes program

Post by terrypin »

When I right-click a search result Everthing crashes. Takes about half an hour to rebuild.

Used to be able to bring up the context menu with no problem.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
void
Developer

Re: Right click crashes program

Post by void »

Does the crash only occur for jpg files?

Probably a third party shell extension causing the issue, could you send some debug output?
  • Start and exit Everything so the database is updated on disk.
  • Restart Everything.
  • In Everything, press Ctrl + ` to show the debug console.
  • Right click a jpg file.
  • After the crash, what is displayed in the debug console?
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, it does seem confined to JPG. Or rather it didnt happen with a TXT. I'd need to explore at much greater length to be sure.

I just tried implementing that but I made the mistake of closing Everything (as Win 10 suggested) after the 'Not responding..' message had been up for a while. I assumed, wrongly I guess, that the console would survive that.

Right now Everything is going through its slow update (I have two internal and 3 external HDs, total 10.256 TB) so I'll try again later. This time I'll activate the console while Everything continues 'not responding'.

--------------------
EDIT
OK, it finished a few minutes after composing the above, so I've now used the console to send you this text file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/401 ... ole-01.txt

However, the behaviour was odd. Everythin was showing its 'Not responding..' message and I was studing the console. Suddenly things sprang into life: the Context menu (for my randomly chosen JPG) appeared and I duly opened the image. And the console had resumed after its freeze. But Everything still crashed, even without any further action from me.

I'll wait to hear from you before I experiment further.

P.S. Right clicking a JPG in its Explorer folder brings up the context menu at once, as usual.

--
Last edited by terrypin on Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks. I've used that versatile tool before on my XP PC but not yet on this Win 10 PC. Hoping to avoid doing so to fix this Everything issue if possible.

--
therube

Post by therube »

As a start, have you tried disabling "Browse with FastStone" to see if that changes anything?
(FastStone Image Viewer & you're crashing on .jpg ... I wouldn't expect it to be the issue, but ...? Oh, & you've also got IrfanView in there too.)

Is \Dropbox\Plublic\ some kind of "virtual" directory?
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

therube wrote:As a start, have you tried disabling "Browse with FastStone" to see if that changes anything?
(FastStone Image Viewer & you're crashing on .jpg ... I wouldn't expect it to be the issue, but ...? Oh, & you've also got IrfanView in there too.)

Is \Dropbox\Plublic\ some kind of "virtual" directory?
Both Faststone and IrfanView are frequently used programs and long standing items in my context menu. Are you suggesting I remove them?

\Dropbox\Public is just one of my Dropbox folders. I don't think it's relevant here.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the debug output.

I've tried FastStone, sagethumb and IrfanView without issues.

Could you please try Everything 809b.

In Everything 809b, type in the following search and press ENTER:
/context_menu_type=1

Does the same crash / hang occur?
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Ok, thanks I've installed that beta version. But are you sure you intended that search target? What is it supposed to find? Nothing happens here, result remaining as '0 objects'.

Anyway, happy to report that with a normal search for say ab*.jpg, right clicking a dozen of the hundreds of hits gave correct behaviour, bringing up the context menu.

So I'll leave that version installed. Are there any potential snags or downsides I should look out for?

--
void
Developer

Post by void »

Ok, thanks I've installed that beta version. But are you sure you intended that search target?
Yes, typing in that special search and pressing enter will disable context 3 menus which is where the crash occurs.
Context 3 menus are not so important, they only provide an API extension to context 1 menus, such as help text for the status bar.
If the special search was successful, Everything will briefly display the result in the status bar.

You can restore the context menus to the default setting of context 3 menus by typing in the following search and pressing ENTER:
/context_menu_type=3

Everything 809b is currently the most stable release of Everything.
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Thanks. I restored the original state with '/context_menu_type=3' and happy to find that right clicking a JPG is now OK.

--