Beta feedback

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
tamar

Beta feedback

Post by tamar »

Hey David -

Two things I noticed with the latest beta.

1) There was a time I had a file that didn't get accurately indexed and didn't come up on my search. I ended up screencasting the entire thing, plus a massive delay in indexation after that (it hung at updating database and I had to force quit). If you want the video, I can show you. Feel free to email me.

2) More importantly, the latest version doesn't come to the front when I click on Everything on my Quick Launch toolbar. Pretty sure this was never a problem in previous versions. I have Everything usually open but "sent to back" behind whatever it is that I'm doing now (such as typing this in Chrome). Instead of clicking on the open Everything instance via my taskbar, I click on the Quick Launch icon to pull it up. But when I do that, Everything simply blinks in the taskbar - it doesn't bring it to the front, which is the behavior I'm seeking. This is kind of driving me crazy for the few weeks I've been using the latest beta, so I hope you can fix it to restore it to work the way I'm accustomed to!

Thanks!
void
Developer

Re: Beta feedback

Post by void »

Thanks for your feedback.
1) There was a time I had a file that didn't get accurately indexed and didn't come up on my search. I ended up screencasting the entire thing, plus a massive delay in indexation after that (it hung at updating database and I had to force quit). If you want the video, I can show you. Feel free to email me.
I suspect the Everything service has hung.
I would like to see the video, could you please send it to support@voidtools.com
2) More importantly, the latest version doesn't come to the front when I click on Everything on my Quick Launch toolbar. Pretty sure this was never a problem in previous versions. I have Everything usually open but "sent to back" behind whatever it is that I'm doing now (such as typing this in Chrome). Instead of clicking on the open Everything instance via my taskbar, I click on the Quick Launch icon to pull it up. But when I do that, Everything simply blinks in the taskbar - it doesn't bring it to the front, which is the behavior I'm seeking. This is kind of driving me crazy for the few weeks I've been using the latest beta, so I hope you can fix it to restore it to work the way I'm accustomed to!
Could you please send a little information about your Everything setup?
In Everything, press Ctrl + `
What is displayed at the top of the debug console?
tamar

Post by tamar »

I'll email you with the video soon - and here's the top of my console.

I can do a video for this as well.

Everything
Version 1.4.1.773b (x64)
Windows NT 6.2
Processors 4
IsAdmin 1
AppData 1
Service 1
cmdline "C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe" -isrunas -startup
WM_ACTIVATE 0000000000000000 0000000000000000, lastfocus 00000000007b05ba, current focus 00000000007b05ba
waited 1016
monitor wakeup timer 1000
WAIT 1000, 2 waits
_db_monitor_ntfs_update_event_proc 0
start _db_monitor_ntfs_update_thread_proc
update index C:
updated C: in 0.000056 seconds
_db_monitor_ntfs_process_usn_records_thread_proc
waited 0
monitor wakeup timer 1000
WAIT 1000, 2 waits
processed usn records in 0.000212 seconds
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 809b should fix the missing file issue.

Please try unchecking run as administrator from Tools -> Options -> General -> Run as administrator.

This may help fix the focus when running from the quick launch bar.