Bypassing UAC as "Standard User"

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
REparsed

Bypassing UAC as "Standard User"

Post by REparsed »

I want to start Everything at login from a "Standard User" account (Win 7). I used the Task Scheduler to successfully create a task that will work with an administrator account but not with a "Standard User" account. The problem seems to be that Everything creates a second process (the UI?) that needs but doesn't have admin privileges.

When Everything is run manually from a "Standard User" account there are two UAC prompts.

Is there a way around this other than using an admin account?
David
Developer

Re: Bypassing UAC as "Standard User"

Post by David »

tomw

Post by tomw »

This method only works, if you're logged in as administrator, not as a normal user. Any ideas how to solve this?
tomw

Post by tomw »

OK, solved my problem by using http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Why something similar isn't included in vanilla Windows is beyond me.
dhfan2

Post by dhfan2 »

Hi: Can you post the specific setting you used to get Everything to run without UAC as a standard user. Please help! I'm wasting too much time on this.
ponzonik

Post by ponzonik »

given the nature of this app, just set a trigger on the task scheduler task set to "at startup" or "at logon"
schmurtz

Post by schmurtz »

You ahve successfuly create the task in taskskeduler but after that you have to disable everything autorun in everything options. Otherwise everything will run two times : one time by himself with UAC prompt and one time with taskSkeduler without UAC.

To create task in taskskeduler automatically :

download this file , extract it where you want then run "autorunEverythingWithoutUAC.bat" in admin mode. Disable autorun in everything options and that's all right :)

This script should work with Windows 7 x86 and x64, it is based on FAQ article of everything website.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Bypass UAC has some inconveniences, like we know. Is not possible to change the Search Everything program to avoid UAC interfere with it?

Thanks,
Hugo
SuperAnt

Post by SuperAnt »

have followed the steps in your video thinking that this was just the ticket to get around a problem of a certain program not being able to run via a standard user. Well, I can't get it to work. Actually, it may be working but not the way I had hoped. I created the task to run the needed program and then created the shortcut. When I click on it nothing really happens from the standard user's screen. If I check task manager, and have it show processes for all users, The task is running via the admin's user account but nothing shows up under the standard user's account. So, that does me NO good. Any ideas for letting programs run for standard users without UAC asking for an admin's password? Do I have to turn off UAC?
mischaz

Post by mischaz »

me too, i cannot autorun it in standard user account
langeman

Post by langeman »

hammerhand wrote on Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:51 pm
"What is the reason you are unable to run as an admin?"

I'm encountering the same problem. I don't want my kids to log in as Admin on any computer. So what do I need to do to let them use Everything?
yoyomaah

Post by yoyomaah »

try this variant: http://zornsoftware.talsit.info/blog/st ... login.html
"1. Start->Run-> "gpedit.msc"
2. User Configuration->Windows Settings->Scripts (Logon/Logoff)
3. Double-click 'Logon', and add entries for each of the applications you want launched."