how does indexing removable drive work?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
searchdemon

how does indexing removable drive work?

Post by searchdemon »

I'm confused on how indexing removable drive work. I have an external NTFS drive that I only connect to my computer from time to time since it's a primarily backup drive; but I do have files on that drive that I don't have on my local drive, so I'm hoping that Everything can index my files on my external drive for "offline" use. That is, I'd like to be able to search all my files (to see whether the file is on the external drive, for example) even when the external drive is not connected; then I can connect my drive when I need to open a file on that drive.

I think currently Everything erase all index of the files in my external drive when the drive is disconnected; is that the intended behavior? If so then here's my feature request: give an option to suspense monitoring the drive when the root (i.e. E:\, F:\ etc.) is not found and maybe gray-out the results from that drive, but resume monitoring when the drive is present.

I hope I made myself clear... Thanks.
David
Developer

Re: how does indexing removable drive work?

Post by David »

Currently the drive will need to be plugged in for "Everything" to include it.

Including the index for unplugged drives is on my "Things to do" list and is planned for the next release of "Everything".

Thanks for your suggestion.