Run Everything as a service

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
David
Developer

Run Everything as a service

Post by David »

The Everything service will only work with Windows XP

To run Everything as a service you will need to disable run on system start up and install the Everything service.
You will also need to use a new client to talk to the "Everything" service.

To disable run on system start:
  • In "Everything", from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab.
  • Uncheck Start Everything on system start up.
  • Click OK.

To install the "Everything" service:
  • From the Start menu, click Run.
  • Enter: cmd
  • Change the current directory to your "Everything" installation folder.
  • For example: cd \program files\Everything
  • Enter: Everything.exe -install_service
  • Enter: exit

To start the service now:
  • Exit "Everything".
  • From a command prompt type: net start Everything

Non admin client:
This program simply passes your search queries to the service.
http://www.voidtools.com/Everything_SendCommandLine.zip
Please replace your "Search Everything..." shortcuts with a shortcut to this program.

Known Issues:
The service will exit when any user has logged off.
"Everything" will open files / run programs with administrative privileges.

To uninstall the "Everything" service:
  • From the Start menu, click Run.
  • Enter: cmd
  • Change the current directory to your "Everything" installation folder.
  • For example: cd \program files\Everything
  • Enter: Everything.exe -uninstall_service
Dado

Re: Run Everything as a service

Post by Dado »

It works OK with me. It is on Automatic under services and survives log off and restart. Icon appears in tray as usual.
Needed that on my wife's notebook, where she is Power user, and wanted Everything.

Some isues I've encountered are that as it now runs under "Service" credentials, if I (she) opens Word document, Office is creating new profile for new user Service. Same thing if I open URL link, Opera creates new profile. I expect more of that.

I did not use non admin client, as icon was allready in tray, and no shortcuts on desktop. Did I miss some step in configuration?
And of course, thank you!
David
Developer

Post by David »

Some isues I've encountered are that as it now runs under "Service" credentials, if I (she) opens Word document, Office is creating new profile for new user Service. Same thing if I open URL link, Opera creates new profile. I expect more of that.
Any files opened from "Everything" will be opened with the Service privileges/credentials.
I did not use non admin client, as icon was allready in tray, and no shortcuts on desktop. Did I miss some step in configuration?
And of course, thank you!
If you try to run a shortcut to the normal C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe the UAC will ask for administrative privileges.
The "non admin client" will bypass this.
The "non admin client" is not required if you do not use a shortcut or open "Everything" directly from the tray.
crispinb

Post by crispinb »

Some isues I've encountered are that as it now runs under "Service" credentials, if I (she) opens Word document, Office is creating new profile for new user Service.
I find this quite a problem, for reasons of convenience (wrong profiles) and security.

A cheap and dirty option that would help for me would be to have an option to make the context menu default ('open') action to be Open Path (because this opens in my current Explorer instance), and preferably to disable the other options.
crispinb

Post by crispinb »

As a temporary expedient, I've edited the Everything.ini file, to now contain the line:

Code: Select all

open_file_command=$exec("%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe" /select,"%1")
So now if I double-click an item, I get a behaviour that's more suitable for me.

Seems to work, but does anyone know if this might cause any problematic side-effects?