c:\ drive not searched

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
surfer

c:\ drive not searched

Post by surfer »

I have the latest 64-bit beta version (v 1.3.3.658). I tried both portable and regular installations, but it does appear to show me any files from the C:\ drive in the search window, and the Options dialogue for NTFS Indexes shows the checkbox greyed out for Enable USN Journal, even when I ran the program as admin.
monami

Re: c:\ drive not searched

Post by monami »

I am having exactly the same Problem. I was seaching for an .exe file that i know exists and it wasn't found. Not even the first three lettrs of the file were found. This was very disturbing until I read this post. I am running Windows 8.1 Pro final Edition.
Purgatory

Post by Purgatory »

Hello.

Can you try to Run as administrator.

Right Click on the 'Search Everything' or 'Everything' icon, select Run as administrator.

*The Enable USN Journal option should be available and already selected.

I noticed this hiccup on another computer (Win7 32bit), but not my own Win7 64-bit. Perhaps an update from MS and a permission change?

Please reply with your results.
monami

Post by monami »

I did exactly as you said and it worked.
The Enable USN Journal was selected as you said.
What is the USN Journal anyways?
Can you inform me when you have a fix that alows
it to work as non-admisistrator.

Thanks
MRACHINI

Post by MRACHINI »

Hey, i have the same problem, i immediately knew it was administrator thing but i want to start it on windows Startup, is there a fix without passing arguments to shortcuts. how can i make it work every time with just a double click to the original exe file not a shortcut.
MRACHINI

Post by MRACHINI »

Purgatory wrote:Hello.

Can you try to Run as administrator.

Right Click on the 'Search Everything' or 'Everything' icon, select Run as administrator.

*The Enable USN Journal option should be available and already selected.

I noticed this hiccup on another computer (Win7 32bit), but not my own Win7 64-bit. Perhaps an update from MS and a permission change?

Please reply with your results.
oh and this doesn't happen on my x64 windows 7, but it happens on my windows 8 x64 and another windows 7 x64
froggie

Post by froggie »

If you check the box Everything Service under General in Options, you should not need to start with admin privilege.
Alduin's Khajiit

Post by Alduin's Khajiit »

I have the SAME problem but there is NO 'Everything Service' checkbox under General Options at my end!
Alduin's Khajiit

Post by Alduin's Khajiit »

Running as administrator DID NOT fix the problem for me either! STILL 0 objects!
froggie

Post by froggie »

Are you using the latest (beta) version v 1.3.3.658?
Reg E. Stry

Post by Reg E. Stry »

I'm having the same problems running Everything v 1.3.3.658 on a Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium OS.

I just opened Everything for the first time since it was installed. At that time, it searched my hard drive and found all the files. However, now I see nothing except the C: drive listed. I tried to force a rebuild to no avail.

In your FAQ's troubleshooting section here, you write http://www.voidtools.com/faq.htm:

To manually enable all local NTFS volumes for indexing:
1. In Everything, On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. Click the Volumes tab.
3. For each volume in the Local NTFS volumes list:

I don't have a Volumes tab, but rather an Index tab which leads to the NTFS volumes. Like the others, my USN journal is ghosted and unable to be checked. I've tried starting the Windows Search service and re-starting Everything but still get the same results.
Last edited by Reg E. Stry on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg E. Stry

Post by Reg E. Stry »

Update to my previous message. I tried a previous suggestion and ran the program as administrator, started the Everything service and the program started scanning.

Do both the Windows Search service and the Everything service have to be started and set to Automatic? Can one or the other be disabled?

Please detail the services setup in the FAQ's if they're not already there.